The legacy of Thomas Clemson lives today through South Carolina's educational and economic opportunities. The combined efforts of Thomas and Anna culminated in the founding of Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina, which formally opened in July 1893 with an enrollment of 446 students and 15 faculty.
Over the years, this agriculture college grew and evolved with the times. The all-male millitary school became a "civilian," coeducational institution in 1955. In 1964, the college evolved again, becoming a university, expanding its academic offerings and research pursuits.
The dream shared in Fort Hill between Anna and Thomas for educational opportunities for South Carolinians is now a dream realized by thousands of young men and women throughout the country and the world. Each graduate of Clemson University is a living part of this dream!