Global Engagement


On-Campus Employment for F-1 & J-1 Students

As an F-1 or J-1 student in good standing, you are eligible for on-campus employment.

An international student in F-1 or J-1 status may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week throughout the year. Please keep in mind that on-campus employment is secondary to your pursuit of a degree at Clemson University. Because of this, you must maintain full-time enrollment if you are employed on-campus.

All on-campus employment for international students must be processed by Human Resources.

If you are interested in obtaining on-campus employment, please consider visiting Clemson's JobLink site or the Michelin Career Center on the third floor of the Hendrix Student Center.

Off Campus Employment: CPT & OPT (F-1) AT (J-1)

F-1 Students: Following the successful completion of one academic year as a full-time student, while maintaining your immigration status, an F-1 student is eligible for off-campus employment in the form of Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT). Both forms of employment authorization permit an F-1 student the opportunity for real work experience in a position directly related to their field of study.

Workshops are held weekly throughout the year to discuss OPT eligibility and application procedures.  CPT Advising Hours are offered twice a week on Wednesdays from 10-11:30 and Thursdays from 2:30- 4 p.m. Request forms for CPT and OPT can also be found in the Forms section of this website. While advising is encouraged for any questions you might have, you may submit your documents at any time.

More information on OPT is also available by viewing our OPT Powerpoint presentation.

Important note: If this will be your last semester and you wish to apply for OPT, please plan ahead and apply for OPT as early as possible.  Students can apply for OPT up to 90 days before their program completion date.  The application for employment authorization must be received by the USCIS Service Center no later than 60 days after the program completion date.  It can take up to 90 days for your application to be approved and the process cannot be expedited.   

J-1 Students: International students holding J-1 status are eligible for off-campus employment in the form of “Academic Training” (AT). Like CPT and OPT, AT allows the J-1 student the opportunity to gain real world experience in a position directly related to their field of study.

Students in J-1 status wishing to gain AT authorization should schedule an appointment with an international student advisor to discuss the eligibility requirements and application procedures.

U.S. Social Security Number

International students are eligible for a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) if they have verified employment in the U.S. For more information on applying for a Social Security Card, please visit the Social Security Administration website: