Mission, Vision and Goals
The Clemson University Division of Student Affairs creates supportive environments and innovative opportunities for student learning. We promote individual student excellence, invite collaboration and discovery, and challenge students to take responsibility as members of a diverse, global community.
To Achieve this Mission We:
- Create caring, safe and healthy environments that support student learning;
- Provide innovative opportunities for student learning, especially in the areas of self-knowledge, leadership and communication, and social responsibility;
- Promote individual student achievement and excellence in academic pursuits and beyond;
- Invite individual and collective discovery through relationships, partnerships, and collaborations with students, faculty, staff, parents and other members of our community;
- Challenge students to understand, embrace, and act in accordance with their responsibilities as members of a diverse, global community.
Clemson University’s vision is to become a top-20 institution. In support of this vision, Student Affairs will provide an exemplary, comprehensive and integrated student life curriculum, resulting in the nation’s most engaged, satisfied, and successful student body.
To this end, the following are strategic goals for the next 5-10 years:
(Objectives will be assessed by looking across all relevant measures such as nationally-normed surveys, usage statistics, focus groups and indicator data.)
1. Increase undergraduate student retention and engagement
- Maintain or improve measures of students' adjustment to the University and college life.
- Maintain or increase student involvement in campus activities.
- Maintain or increase reports of active, collaborative and experiential learning both in and outside of the classroom.
- Maintain or improve retention rates to the University and other statistical measures of academic success.
2. Promote graduate student satisfaction and success
- Increase graduate student awareness of Student Affairs programs and services.
- Increase percentage of graduate students reporting that Student Affairs programs and services satisfy their needs.
- Increase graduate student participation in Student Affairs programs and services.
- Increase graduate student integration in the Clemson University community and culture.
3. Prepare all students to interact successfully and meaningfully with people from diverse identities
- Maintain or increase the number and percentage of students who engage in positive interaction, meaningful dialogue and learning with regard to people from diverse identities.
- Maintain or increase the percentage of students who understand the importance of interacting with people from diverse identities to their success at Clemson University and beyond.
- Maintain or increase the percentage of students who feel included and respected as a member of the Clemson University community.
- Maintain or increase the number and percentage of students from targeted population segments involved in Student Affairs programs and activities.
- Maintain or improve the proportional representation of students from targeted population segments involved in Student Affairs programs and activities.
4. Develop students as ethical leaders and agents of positive change
- Maintain or increase student self reports of having increased their leadership capacity.
- Maintain or increase students self reports of having increased their leadership efficacy.
- Maintain or increase the rate at which students engage in leadership learning experiences.
- Maintain or increase the rate at which students engage in leadership behaviors.
5. Provide services and facilities that enrich the student experience
- Increase the percentage of paid/unpaid student employees who report increased learning in the areas of leadership, communication and/or life skills application.
- Increase student satisfaction with Student Affairs facilities and services.
- Annually, each Student Affairs facility/venue will have current capital improvement/maintenance plans in place consistent with applicable industry/organization national standards.
- Create formal collaborative partnerships between Student Affairs and other entities to improve services and facilities.
6. Ensure a healthy and safe campus for all members of the Clemson community
- Identify and meet the campus safety and security needs of all faculty and staff.
- Identify and meet the health, safety and security needs of all students.
- Increase the number and percentage of students, faculty and staff who participate in health, safety and sustainability programs.
- Increase the percentage of students demonstrating healthy behaviors especially in the areas of alcohol and drugs, stress management and/or intimate relationships.
- Increase the percentage of students, faculty and staff who demonstrate the knowledge, values and behaviors consistent with Clemson University’s commitment to sustainability.
- Departments and units related to health and safety will obtain and maintain accreditation standards where applicable.