The symbol of our
The university was founded in 1930 by a number of scientists and teachers, among them Vasiliy P. Goryachkin for whom the university is now named. Originally called, "MIMESKH" (or the Moscow Institute of Mechanization and Electrification of Agriculture) the main academy branched off of the old Timiryazev University. Unfortunately, the formation of the institute did not occur without problems. In the beginning, there were difficulties in organizing and obtaining the necessary resources needed to run the institute effectively. They lacked the laboratories and study halls that they required, and were forced to build many new buildings. The university experienced a constantly changing teaching staff, and in the first 10 years of its existence the university staff replaced their director 9 times. During the early 1940's, close to 500 students and faculty left the university to help fight in the war. The institute continued to train students and specialists, and even aided in the repair and development of military machines and weapons. As the German army approached Moscow, the university was completely evacuated and its literature and teaching resources were disseminated to other institutions and technical schools. In 1943, the students returned and resumed their scientific and educational work. The attendance at the college increased to over 1500 students in the first years after World War II.
The student body has continued to increase, and now MSAU produces many specialists and engineers that work here in Russia and abroad.
Nowadays, when looking at MSAU you might see a conglomeration of buildings all nestled around the same area. A main street, open only to pedestrians, connects the main buildings of the university. Walking down the street, you might see statues of Goryachkin or vehicles on pedestals commemorating the university's part in World War II. Also, there are tremendous fields used for agricultural experimentation. Apparently, Lenin had given the land to Timiryazev University for agricultural study. In a city where land is sorely needed, it’s amazing that the university can retain this much acreage. Although other parts of the city might have its land requisitioned, few people question the university's claim on the land. Lenin's word still holds a lot of value even almost 100 years later.
The university also owns a series of hostels that houses not only faculty and staff, but students as well. We American students actually live in hostel number 5 along with a number of Russian students that we study with.
The majority of students that we've met here are majoring in the pedagogical aspects of agricultural engineering. They all seem very motivated, and are quick learners (even when being taught in a foreign language!).