Download Adobe Reader

Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

Where is the Department of Finance located?

The main department office is located in Room 318 Sirrine Hall. Faculty offices are located on the third and fourth floors.

Who is the chair of the department?

Dr. Angela Morgan

Advising and Registration Information

Who is the finance advisor?

Josh Harris

Who is the advisor for dual majors or honors students?

Jack Wolf

Where do I go to obtain forms for change of academic program, approval of course work to be taken elsewhere, course substitutions, double majors, etc.?

Who signs the forms?

Josh Harris

How do I get approval to take a finance (FIN) course at another school?

Print and complete the Approval of Coursework to be Taken Elsewhere form and bring it to the finance advisor. You should also bring a copy of the syllabus for the course if the course is not listed on the transfer equivalency list. This form needs to be completed BEFORE you take the course.

Only courses from AACSB and EQUIS accredited schools can be transferred in to replace a FIN course.

Where do I go to obtain information on transfer credits from other institutions?

Go to the Transfer Admissions Office in 105 Sikes Hall. Only courses in which you have made a "C" or better can be transferred.

Changing Majors Into or Out of Financial Management

What do I need to transfer to financial management?

You must have a GPR of 2.0 or higher and have completed the 30 credit hours outlined in the freshman pre-business curriculum.

How do I change into the financial management major?

Contact Josh Harris

How do I change out of the financial management major?

Contact Josh Harris

Common Course or Curriculum Questions

Do I have to retake a course if I make a "D" in it?

No, as long as 1) your overall GPR is at or above a 2.0, 2) your average FIN designated GPR is at or above a 2.0 and 3) a "C" or better in this course is not required to take a subsequent course.

Can I receive credit for both FIN 3060 and FIN 3110?

No. Financial management and accounting majors take FIN 3110. Other majors normally take FIN 3060. You can substitute FIN 3060 for FIN 3110 if you took FIN 3060 before you were a financial management major.

Can I take FIN 3060 without the required prerequisites? Can I take FIN 3060 at the same time as the prerequisites?

No. The courses were chosen as prerequisites because knowledge of accounting and statistics is fundamental to the course.

Are some courses only offered certain terms? Why is this? What if I'm graduating in a term when the course isn't offered?

Yes. Courses currently only offered in the fall include FIN 3040, FIN 4020, FIN 4060 and FIN 4170. Courses only offered in the spring include FIN 4030, FIN 4040, FIN 4080, FIN 4150 and FIN 4160. FIN 3990 is only taught in the summer. Some creative inquiry courses start in the fall and continue into the spring.

Course demand for most of the senior level courses isn't large enough for those courses to be taught twice a year. We have staggered the offerings within an emphasis area so as not to overwhelm a student within a particular semester.

You should be able to take all required courses in time for graduation. However, if you have fallen behind and a course is not available in the semester that you graduate, you may have the option of substituting another approved FIN course. See the department chair for more information.

Can I receive course credit for an internship?

Yes, we offer an internship course, FIN 3990, during the summer. All internships must be approved by the course coordinator prior to enrolling in the course. See the Internships Tab.

I don't like my accounting course. Why do I have to take ACCT courses?

Financial managers rely on financial statements in order to make decisions. Whether you are evaluating stocks to decide whether to include them in your investment portfolio, determining how much financing your company needs or examining a proposed real estate development to decide whether to invest, you cannot consistently make good decisions without understanding where the data comes from. Clemson does require more ACCT courses in its curriculum than many other schools, but the corporate recruiters know this and can at least partially explain why students earning B.S. degrees in financial management are sought after.

Can I minor in accounting? Do the courses count for both my major and minor?

Yes. The corporate finance and financial services emphasis areas allow you to fulfill all the obligations of the accounting minor without extra coursework so long as you choose your classes correctly. See the advisor for more information.

Do I have to have a minor?


Graduation Information

What GPR do I need to graduate?

You must have a 2.0 overall GPR and a 2.0 average in all FIN designated courses to graduate. For the purposes of the FIN designated courses, the grade from the most recent time the course was taken is used in the calculation.

Important Contacts
Department Chair Dr. Angela Morgan
Advisor Mr. Josh Harris
Finance Club Advisor
Dr. John Alexander
Wall St. South Advisor Ms. Kerri McMillan, CFA
Honors Advisor Dr. Jack Wolf