Since 1958, Lee Hall has been the home of the School of Architecture, replacing its previous home in Riggs Hall. Named for campus architect Rudolph E. Lee (1874-1959), a graduate of Clemson University’s first class and faculty member of the School of Architecture for sixty years, Lee Hall was designed by Dean Harlan McClure and built in 1958. The building is one of the most elegant examples of mid-century modern architecture in the South, and "Old Lee" and adjacent Lowry Hall were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
In subsequent decades, Lee Hall became the home of a number of affiliated departments and programs, including the departments of Art, Landscape Architecture, City and Regional Planning, Construction Science and Management (CSM), Real Estate Development, and the PhD program in Planning, Design, and the Built Environment (PDBE). Lee Hall was expanded in 1975 to create the addition now known as "Lee II," which included the "Grad Tower," the former home of the graduate studios. It was expanded again in 1991.
In April 2010, ground was broken for Lee III (pictured above), a 55,000 s.f. building that is now the new home of the graduate architecture studios, faculty and administrative offices, as well as Landscape Architecture studios. Lee III was designed by Thomas Phifer and Partners and McMillan Pazdan Smith, assisted by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (structural engineers) and Transolar (climate engineers). The building was completed in December 2011 and opened in January 2012.
In 2013, Lee III was recognized with an AIA Honor Award. Watch the video here of the Architect Magazine interview with Tom Phifer at the AIA National Convention after winning the award. The building was also named as "one of the best in new university architecture around the world" in a 2014 article by Architectural Digest magazine. Lee III appeared among eight other collegiate structures.
The Gunnin Architecture Library houses over 48,000 books and bound periodical volumes and supports 180+ periodical subscriptions in art, architecture, landscape design, planning, construction, real estate development, and historic preservation. The Library maintains a collection of audiovisual equipment, digital still and video cameras and architectural drafting aids for use by students and faculty in the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities. Also, the library has a collection of nearly 1,000 videos, including focused streaming collections, related to the arts and the built environment. Printing, copying and limited scanning facilities are also available in the library.