The preparation of a thesis is a requirement of the M.S. in Historic Preservation. Julianne Johnson received the Preservation Society of Charleston Thesis Prize for 2013 for her thesis The Financial Impact of Historic Preservation Easements on Encumbered Property Appreciation Rates in Charleston, SC
Peterson Prize Submissions
year the program submits an application for the Peterson Prize
sponsored by the Historic American Building Survey and the National Park
Service. To compile these drawings students learn the skills required
to accurately record historic structures. The process of measuring and
carefully recording buildings is proven to be a very effective way to
gain an understanding of historic construction, building fabric and
design. It also provides an accurate record of American architectural
heritage and the drawings produced become a part of the permanent HABS
collection in the Library of Congress. While a systematic examination of
buildings is labor intensive, it creates an academic database and
provides a form of insurance if the buildings are later destroyed. See drawing index here.
Research and Documentation
The City of Charleston and its environs provide case study projects for archival research, field investigation and final documentation. Access to a number of repositories around the city provides students with the opportunity to build research and documentation skills necessary for thesis work during the second year of the program.
In collaboration with the Historic American Landscape Survey, the spring 2009 cultural landscapes class examined a number of historic parks and gardens in Charleston and the surrounding Carolina Lowcountry. Focus areas included completion of measured drawings for each site, photographic documentation, historical research and preservation planning.
Requirements for the Master of Science in Historic Preservation from Clemson/College of Charleston include the completion of a professional internship. The following is a partial list of sites at which students have completed internships.
- Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming
- Owens-Thomas House: Savannah, Georgia
- Historic American Building Survey: Fredrick, Maryland
- Lawson’s Pond: Cross, South Carolina
- Historic Charleston Foundation: Charleston, South Carolina
- Historic Seattle, Seattle, Washington
- National Park Service, Yosemite
- Drayton Hall: Charleston, South Carolina
- George Washington's Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon, VA
- Richard Marks Restoration
- City of Charleston: Charleston, SC
- Central Park Conservancy, New York, New York
- ICOMOS, Falmouth, Jamaica
- The Sustainability Institute
- Winterthur Museum: Wilmington, DE