College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities
Office: 410-E Brackett Hall
Phone: (864) 656-0348
Ph.D. in Social Psychology, University of North Carolina at Greensboro (1990); M.A. in General Psychology, Wake Forest University (1987); B.A. in Psychology, Furman University (1985)
- Cyber bullying
- Aversive interpersonal behaviors, especially teasing and complaining
- Health psychology
- Kowalski, R. M. & Limber, S. E. (in press). Electronic bullying among middle school students. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Kowalski, R. M. (in press). Culture and hurt feelings. In A. Vangelisti (Ed.), Feeling hurt in close relationships. London: Cambridge University Press.
- Kowalski, R. M., Limber, S. E., & Agatston, P. W. (2008). Cyber bullying: Bullying in the digital age. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishers.
- Kowalski, R. M., & Westen, D. (2008). Psychology (5th ed). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Kowalski, R. M. (2007). Teasing and bullying. In B. H. Spitzberg & W. R. Cupach (Eds.). The dark side of interpersonal communication (2nd ed, pp. 169-197). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Kowalski, R. M. & Payne, H.S. (2006). The decision to donate: A model of donation decision-making among individuals and families. Progress in Transplantation, 16, 1-7.
Awards and Honors:
- Clemson University’s Mentoring Award of Distinction – April, 2005
- Clemson University’s College of Business and Behavioral Science Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching – May, 2005
- Clemson University’s Psi Chi Teaching Award – May, 2005
- SEPA Professional Paper Award, March, 2005
- Western Carolina University Botner Superior Teaching Award, April, 1999
- Western Carolina University Legislative Teaching Award, Psychology, April, 2001
- Western Carolina University Teaching-Research Award, 2002
- SEPA/CEPO Research Award
- Association of Women in Psychology (AWP)/Division 35 Research Award
- Hunter Scholar – Western Carolina University – 1995, 1998
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Psychological Association
- International Society for Self and Identity
- Society for Experimental Social Psychologists
- Southeastern Psychology Association
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology
- Society for Southeastern Social Psychologists
- Society for the Advancement of Social Psychology
- Sigma Xi
- Society for Health Psychology
- Psi Chi
- Teaching of Psychology
- PSYCH 201H: Introduction to Psychology (Honors)
- PSYCH 310: Advanced Experimental Design
- PSYCH 352H: Social Psychology (Honors)
- PSYCH 408: Women and Psychology
- PSYCH 480/680: Health Psychology