Dietetics Program Application
Students enrolled in the B.S. in Food Science and Human Nutrition – Nutrition Concentration degree program must officially declare an emphasis area and complete 17 credits of coursework in the declared emphasis area to fulfill degree requirements. Students interested declaring the Dietetics emphasis in order to complete DPD requirements and obtain a Verification Statement must complete a formal application and meet specific criteria for admission into the Dietetics emphasis – refer to the Dietetics Program Admission Policy (PDF, 215 KB) for details. Admission into the Dietetics emphasis constitutes admission into the DPD.
Dietetics Admission Criteria: Students must meet the following criteria for admission into the Dietetics emphasis. Applicants who do not meet all criteria will not be admitted into the emphasis. Students should confirm that they meet all of the following criteria before applying.
- Documented attendance at a dietetics program information session discussing the steps to become a registered dietitian/registered dietitian nutritionist.
- Completion of a minimum of 60 credit hours by the end of the semester in which the student is applying.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.20.
- Completion of the following courses with a C or better:
• Biology 1030 and 1050 (or Biology 1100) General Biology I + Lab
• Biology 1040 and 1060 (or Biology 1110) General Biology II + Lab
• Chemistry 1010 General Chemistry + Lab
• Chemistry 1020 General Chemistry + Lab
• Chemistry 2230 and 2270 Organic Chemistry + Lab
• Biology 2220 Human Anatomy & Physiology I + Lab
• Psychology 2010 General Psychology
• Economics 2000 or 2120 Economics Requirement
- Completion of the following courses with a B or better:
• Food Science 1010 Introduction to Food Science and Human Nutrition
• Nutrition 2030 Introduction to Principles of Human Nutrition
• Nutrition 2160 Evidence-Based Nutrition
- Complete the Dietetics Emphasis Application Form and submit related materials by the annual January application deadline for potential fall semester admission and the annual September application deadline for potential spring semester admission.
Application Periods: Two application periods for admission into the Dietetics emphasis are available each academic year, one at the beginning of the spring semester and one at the beginning of the fall semester. Students following the B.S. in Food Science and Human Nutrition with a concentration in Nutrition curriculum as freshmen are encouraged to apply during spring semester of their sophomore year. Students who have transferred or changed their major into the program may apply during either the spring or fall semester based on when they attain the criteria for emphasis admission. Students must be formally admitted into the Dietetics emphasis before they are permitted to take coursework designated “Dietetics Emphasis Only.” A delay in application once a student has achieved the admission criteria may result in additional semester(s) and a delay in graduation.
Spring Semester Application Period – Students interested in entering the Dietetics emphasis Fall 2017 should apply during this application period. Application materials should be submitted between December 19, 2016 and January 15, 2017. Application materials should not be submitted before December 19, 2016. Application materials should not be submitted until final grades from Fall Semester 2016 are available on Clemson University transcripts in iROAR. Application materials will not be accepted after 5:00 pm EST on January 15, 2017. Students who apply during this period will be notified by mid-March 2017 of their admission status.
Fall Semester Application Period – Students interested in entering the Dietetics emphasis during Spring 2018 should apply during this application period. Application materials should be submitted between August 14, 2017 and September 15, 2017. Application materials should not be submitted before August 14, 2017. Application materials should not be submitted until final grades from coursework taken during Summer 2017 (as applicable) are available on one’s transcripts. Application materials will not be accepted after 5:00 pm EST on September 15, 2017. Students who apply during this period will be notified by the end of October 2017 of their admission status.
Application Instructions: Refer to the Dietetics Emphasis Application Instructions (PDF, 348 KB) for complete details and submission procedures. To apply to the Dietetics emphasis, students must submit the following materials to Ms. Kim Collins, Administrative Assistant to the FNPS Department Chair, as a single application packet. The packet will be forwarded by Ms. Collins to the DPD Director for review. Partial packets or packets with materials submitted separately will not be considered.
- Dietetics Emphasis Application Form (PDF, 208 KB)
- Dietetics Emphasis Course Worksheet (DOC, 56 KB)
- Unofficial Copy of Clemson Transcript (print from iROAR).
- Unofficial Copy or Copy Issued to Student of Transcripts for Coursework Completed Elsewhere
All materials must be type-written, printed and submitted in a single manila envelope labeled "Clemson Dietetics Emphasis Application Packet". The envelope should be addressed and submitted to:
Ms. Kim Collins
Administrative Assistant to the FNPS Department Chair
Department of Food, Nutrition, and Packaging Sciences
223 Poole Agricultural Center
Clemson, SC 29634