Animal and Veterinary Sciences Department
Office: 146 Poole Agricultural Center
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign 2017
Huazhong Agricultural University 2012
Huazhong Agricultural University 2009
AVS 3700 Principles of Animal Nutrition
AVS 4910 Undergraduate Research Experience
AVS 8010 Metabolic Dysfunction in Domestic Animals
2018 National Milk Producers Federation Richard M. Hoyt Award
2016 American Society of Animal Science Midwest Young Dairy Scholar Award
My laboratory uses molecular and omics approach to study the impact of nutritional interventions on production performance and health related metabolic alterations. A fundamental goal of my research program is to improve performance and health in farm animals, and to uncover the underlying physiological and molecular regulatory mechanisms. Current projects are designed to evaluate the effects of amino acids and peptides on key metabolic pathways using both in vivo and in vitro models.
1. Zhou, Z., T. A. Garrow, X. Dong, D. N. Luchini, and J. J. Loor. 2017. Hepatic Activity and Transcription of Betaine-Homocysteine Methyltransferase, Methionine Synthase, and Cystathionine Synthase in Periparturient Dairy Cows Are Altered to Different Extents by Supply of Methionine and Choline. J Nutr 147(1):11-19.
2. Zhou, Z., E. Trevisi, D. N. Luchini, and J. J. Loor. 2017. Differences in liver functionality indexes in peripartal dairy cows fed rumen-protected methionine or choline are associated with performance, oxidative stress status, and plasma amino acid profiles. J Dairy Sci 100(8):6720-6732.
3. Zhou, Z., M. Vailati-Riboni, E. Trevisi, J. K. Drackley, D. N. Luchini, and J. J. Loor. 2016. Better postpartal performance in dairy cows supplemented with rumen-protected methionine compared with choline during the peripartal period. J Dairy Sci 99(11):8716-8732.
4. Zhou, Z., O. Bulgari, M. Vailati-Riboni, E. Trevisi, M. A. Ballou, F. C. Cardoso, D. N. Luchini, and J. J. Loor. 2016. Rumen-protected methionine compared with rumen-protected choline improves immunometabolic status in dairy cows during the peripartal period. J Dairy Sci 99(11):8956-8969.
5. Zhou, Z., J. J. Loor, F. Piccioli-Cappelli, F. Librandi, G. E. Lobley, and E. Trevisi. 2016. Circulating amino acids in blood plasma during the peripartal period in dairy cows with different liver functionality index. J Dairy Sci 99(3):2257-2267.
6. Zhou, Z., M. Vailati-Riboni, D. N. Luchini, and J. J. Loor. 2016. Methionine and Choline Supply during the Periparturient Period Alter Plasma Amino Acid and One-Carbon Metabolism Profiles to Various Extents: Potential Role in Hepatic Metabolism and Antioxidant Status. Nutrients 9(1).
7. Zhou, Z., D. P. Bu, M. Vailati Riboni, M. J. Khan, D. E. Graugnard, J. Luo, F. C. Cardoso, and J. J. Loor. 2015. Prepartal dietary energy level affects peripartal bovine blood neutrophil metabolic, antioxidant, and inflammatory gene expression. J Dairy Sci 98(8):5492-5505.
8. Zhou, Z., H. F. Wan, Y. Li, W. Chen, Z. L. Qi, P. Peng, and J. Peng. 2010. The influence of the amylopectin/amylose ratio in samples of corn on the true metabolizable energy value for ducks. Anim Feed Sci Tech 157(1-2):99-103.
9. Dong, X., Z. Zhou, L. Wang, B. Saremi, A. Helmbrecht, Z. Wang, and J. J. Loor. 2018. Increasing the availability of threonine, isoleucine, valine, and leucine relative to lysine while maintaining an ideal ratio of lysine:methionine alters mammary cellular metabolites, mammalian target of rapamycin signaling, and gene transcription. (J of Dairy Sci, In press).
10. Dong, X., Z. Zhou, B. Saremi, A. Helmbrecht, Z. Wang, and J. J. Loor. 2017. Varying the ratio of Lys:Met while maintaining the ratios of Thr:Phe, Lys:Thr, Lys:His, and Lys:Val alters mammary cellular metabolites, mammalian target of rapamycin signaling, and gene transcription. J of Dairy Sci 101:1-11.
11. Alharthi, A.M., Z. Zhou, and J. J. Loor. 2018. Body condition score prior to parturition is associated with plasma and adipose tissue biomarkers of lipid metabolism and inflammation in Holstein cows. (J Anim Sci Biotechnol, In press).
12. Han, L., Z. Zhou, F. Batistel, J. Osorio, and J. J. Loor. 2018. Phosphorylation of nuclear factor erythroid 2 like 2 (NRF2) in mammary tissue of Holstein cows during the periparturient period is associated with mRNA abundance of antioxidant gene networks. (Journal of Dairy Science, In press).
13. Vailati-Riboni, M., Z. Zhou, C. B. Jacometo, A. Minuti, E. Trevisi, D. N. Luchini, and J. J. Loor. 2017. Supplementation with rumen-protected methionine or choline during the transition period influences whole-blood immune response in periparturient dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 100(5):3958-3968.
14. Jacometo, C. B., Z. Zhou, D. Luchini, M. N. Correa, and J. J. Loor. 2017. Maternal supplementation with rumen-protected methionine increases prepartal plasma methionine concentration and alters hepatic mRNA abundance of 1-carbon, methionine, and transsulfuration pathways in neonatal Holstein calves. J Dairy Sci 100(4):3209-3219.
15. Jacometo, C. B., Z. Zhou, D. Luchini, E. Trevisi, M. N. Correa, and J. J. Loor. 2016. Maternal rumen-protected methionine supplementation and its effect on blood and liver biomarkers of energy metabolism, inflammation, and oxidative stress in neonatal Holstein calves. J Dairy Sci 99(8):6753-6763.
16. Zhou, Y., Z. Zhou, W. Zhang, X. Hu, H. Wei, J. Peng, and S. Jiang. 2015. SIRT1 inhibits adipogenesis and promotes myogenic differentiation in C3H10T1/2 pluripotent cells by regulating Wnt signaling. Cell Biosci 5:61.
17. Minuti, A., Z. Zhou, D. E. Graugnard, S. L. Rodriguez-Zas, A. R. Palladino, F. C. Cardoso, E. Trevisi, and J. J. Loor. 2015. Acute mammary and liver transcriptome responses after an intramammary Escherichia coli lipopolysaccharide challenge in postpartal dairy cows. Physiol Rep 3(4).
18. Wang, M., Z. Zhou, M. J. Khan, J. Gao, and J. J. Loor. 2015. Clock circadian regulator (CLOCK) gene network expression patterns in bovine adipose, liver, and mammary gland at 3 time points during the transition from pregnancy into lactation. J Dairy Sci 98(7):4601-4612.
19. Abdelmegeid, M., A. Elolimy, Z. Zhou., J. McCann; J. J. Loor. 2018. Rumen-protected methionine during the peripartal period in dairy cows and its effects on abundance of major species of ruminal bacteria. (J Anim Sci Biotechnol, In Press).
20. Arroyo, J. M., A. Hosseini, Z. Zhou, A. Alharthi, E. Trevisi, J. S. Osorio, and J. J. Loor. 2017. Reticulo-rumen mass, epithelium gene expression, and systemic biomarkers of metabolism and inflammation in Holstein dairy cows fed a high-energy diet. J Dairy Sci. 100:9352–9360.
21. Hosseini, A., M. Salman, Z. Zhou, J. K. Drackley, E. Trevisi, and J. J. Loor. 2017. Level of dietary energy and 2,4-thiazolidinedione alter molecular and systemic biomarkers of inflammation and liver function in Holstein cows. J Anim Sci Biotechnol 8:64.
22. Stella, S. L., Acosta, D.A.V., C. Skenandore, Z. Zhou, A. Steelman, D. Luchini, F.C. Cardoso. 2018. Improved uterine immune mediators in Holstein cows supplemented with rumen-protected methionine and discovery of neutrophil extracellular traps (NET). (Theriogenology, In press).
23. Skenandore, C. S., D. A. Velasco Acosta, Z. Zhou, M. I. Rivelli, M. N. Corrêa, D. N. Luchini, and F. C. Cardoso. 2017. Effects of rumen-protected methionine and choline supplementation on vaginal discharge and uterine cytology of Holstein cows. International Journal of Veterinary Science and Medicine 5(1):1-7.
24. Zhou, Y., T. Song, J. Peng, Z. Zhou, H. Wei, R. Zhou, S. Jiang, and J. Peng. 2016. SIRT1 suppresses adipogenesis by activating Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in vivo and in vitro. Oncotarget 7(47):77707-77720.
25. Osorio, J. S., C. B. Jacometo, Z. Zhou, D. Luchini, F. C. Cardoso, and J. J. Loor. 2016. Hepatic global DNA and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha promoter methylation are altered in peripartal dairy cows fed rumen-protected methionine. J Dairy Sci 99(1):234-244.
26. Acosta, D. A. V., M. I. Rivelli, C. Skenandore, Z. Zhou, D. H. Keisler, D. Luchini, M. N. Correa, and F. C. Cardoso. 2017. Effects of rumen-protected methionine and choline supplementation on steroidogenic potential of the first postpartum dominant follicle and expression of immune mediators in Holstein cows. Theriogenology 96:1-9.
27. Agrawal, A., A. Alharthi, M. Vailati-Riboni, Z. Zhou, and J. J. Loor. 2017. Expression of fatty acid sensing G-protein coupled receptors in peripartal Holstein cows. J Anim Sci Biotechnol 8:20.
28. Loor, J. J., M. Vailati-Riboni, J. C. McCann, Z. Zhou, and M. Bionaz. 2015. TRIENNIAL LACTATION SYMPOSIUM: Nutrigenomics in livestock: Systems biology meets nutrition. J Anim Sci 93(12):5554-5574.
29. Luo, H. F., H. K. Wei, F. R. Huang, Z. Zhou, S. W. Jiang, and J. Peng. 2009. The effect of linseed on intramuscular fat content and adipogenesis related genes in skeletal muscle of pigs. Lipids 44(11):999-1010.
30. Li, Y., A. R. Zhang, H. F. Luo, H. Wei, Z. Zhou, J. Peng, and Y. J. Ru. 2015. In vitro and in vivo digestibility of corn starch for weaned pigs: Effects of amylose:amylopectin ratio, extrusion, storage duration, and enzyme supplementation. J Anim Sci 93(7):3512-3520.
31. Acosta, D. A. V., A. C. Denicol, P. Tribulo, M. I. Rivelli, C. Skenandore, Z. Zhou, D. Luchini, M. N. Correa, P. J. Hansen, and F. C. Cardoso. 2016. Effects of rumen-protected methionine and choline supplementation on the preimplantation embryo in Holstein cows. Theriogenology 85(9):1669-1679.