Clemson University Police Department
Spring Break Safety Tips
When preparing for Spring Break Travel please consider the following:
- Trust your instincts. If something doesn't seem right or seems suspicious, report it to the police as soon as possible.
- Do not give out personal information such as phone numbers, email addresses, residence information, etc., to persons you do not know and trust.
- Carry minimum information on you when traveling. Use a minimum amount of credit or debit cards and never carry your social security number with you.
- Keep all personal items with you or in your sight at all times. (cell phones, laptops, computers, purses, etc.)
- If you think you are being followed proceed to a well-lit, well-populated location. Call local police immediately.
- If traveling by car make sure your vehicle is in good working order. Check tire pressure, fluid levels and keep at least one half tank of gas in the vehicle.
- Do not leave valuables in the passenger area of your vehicle.
- Keep a map or GPS unit in your vehicle along with a flashlight, whistle and blanket.
- Keep your cell phone charged.
- Do not advertise your travel destination on social media websites or state you will be gone from your residence.
- If traveling by air mark your bags with a ribbon or some easily identifiable marker.
- If you are traveling in airports or crowded venues it may be helpful to place your wallet in your right front pocket and carry purses in front of you with both hands. Do not leave your wallet on top of your purse.
- Let a close friend or family member know your whereabouts at all times.
- Call someone you know and trust before you leave and when you arrive at your destinations.
- Walk in groups and remember there is safety in numbers. Do not go out alone.
- Never accept drinks from a person you do not know or trust.
- Make safety on your trip your first priority.