Ph.D. Political Science
University of Toronto
M.A. Political Science
University of Toronto
University of Toronto
American Political Thought
Introduction to Politics
The Political Science Discipline
Security and the Constitution
Introduction to Security Studies
Problems in Public Policy
Social and Political Issues
Professional and Business Ethics
Philosophy of Law
Modern Political Ideologies
Politics and Economics
ProfileColin D. Pearce holds a Ph.D. in political science from the University of Toronto. He has published in a number of journals including the Canadian Journal of Political Science, The Journal of the History of Ideas, Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society, Studies in Literary Imagination, The Kipling Journal, The Simms Review, South Carolina Review, Perspectives on Politics, Interpretation, Humanitas, Clio, Appraisal, The Explicator, Quadrant and other venues. He was the William Gilmore Simms Professor at University of South Carolina in 2004 and is past president of the South Carolina Political Science Association. He has taught at a variety of universities and colleges, most recently at the University of Guelph-Humber and the University of South Carolina Beaufort. He has taught courses in Political Science and in the Honors College at Clemson since 2011. He is currently a Faculty Affiliate of the University of Haifa.
Areas of Interest
- Political Theory/American Politics/American Political Thought
- Philosophy and Literature/ Moral Philosophy /Ethics and Values
- Security Studies/Leadership/Canadian Politics
“Canadian Guardian: The Educational Statesmanship of Egerton Ryerson.” Liberal Education and Canadian Political Culture. Ed. David Livingstone (McGill-Queens University Press, 2015).
“From Guardianism to Postmodernism: Historiography and the Interpretation of Canadian Political Culture” Southern Journal of Canadian Studies vol. 6, 1 (April, 2015),pp. 21-17. https://journals.carleton.ca/sjcs/index.php/journal/article/view/55
“The Genius-Poet in William Gilmore Simms.” The Simms Review (2014)20:1-2
“Aristotle and Business: An Inescapable Tension.” History of Business Ethics - - Aristotle Section, Ed. G. Bragues. Springer Publishing (2012).
“Future Technoscientific Education: Atheism and Ethics in a Globalizing World” Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society Vol. 31 no. 2 (March, 2011): 81-102. http://bst.sagepub.com/content/31/2/81.abstract
“All Aboard! The Philosophy of the Omnibus and the Problem of Progress in
William Gilmore Simms” The Simms Review vol. XVIII no.1 (2011)
"Progress"; "Sidney Hook" – Encyclopedia of Political Science
Ed. George Thomas Kurian, Congressional Quarterly Press (2011).
“Libertarianism Ancient and Modern: Reflections on the Strauss-Rothbard Debate” Interpretation: A Journal of Political Philosophy (Vol.38, no.1,2010)
“Lessons for Liberalism: Lord Brougham’s Philosophy of Italian History” Nordicum-Mediterraneum Vol. 4 no1(2009) http://nome.unak.is/nome2/issues/vol4_1/article.php?id=0&art=pearce
“The Metaphysical Federalism of William Gilmore Simms” Special Issue of Studies in Literary Imagination 42:1(2009)
“From Dreaming Spires to Part Time Jobs” University of Guelph-Humber Newsletter (Fall, 2009). http://www.guelphhumber.ca/UserLibrary/documents/Fall%202009_GHNEWSLETTER_websit%20e_version%201.4r.pdf
“Words Upon a Monument: The Liberalism of Simms’s Public Theology”
The Simms Review vol. XVI no.1 (2008)
“History for Life” Humanitas Volume XX, 1&2. (2008) http://www.nhinet.org/pearce20-1.pdf
*** Book Reviews for Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 2007-2012 ***
- Michael P. Federici, Richard M. Gamble,and Mark T. Mitchell eds.,"The Culture of Immodesty in American Life and Politics:The Modest Republic."(Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).
- Daniel Henstra ed., Multilevel governance and emergency management in Canadian municipalities (McGill-Queen’s, 2013).
- James T. Schliefer, The Chicago companion to Tocqueville’s Democracy in America (University of Chicago Press, 2012).
- William Connolly, “A World of Becoming” (Duke University Press,2011)
- Kenneth L. Deutsch and Ethan Fishman, “The Dilemmas of American Conservatism” (University Press of Kentucky, 2010)
- Nathan Crick, “Democracy & rhetoric: John Dewey on the arts of becoming” (University of South Carolina Press, 2010)
- Colleen A. Sheehan. “James Madison and the Spirit of Republican Self Government” (Cambridge, 2009)
- James H Read. “Majority Rule Versus Consensus: The Political Thought of John C. Calhoun.” (University Press of Kansas, 2009)
- Robert Diab, “Guantanamo North” (Fernwood Publishing, 2009)
- Andreas Kalyvas and Ira Katznelson “Liberal beginnings: making a republic for the moderns.”(Cambridge, 2008)
- Christopher Manfredi and Mark Rush, “Judging Democracy.” Broadview Press, 2008. http://www.cro2.org/default.aspx?page=reviewdisplay&pid=3416895
- Jason A. Scorza, "Strong liberalism: habits of mind for democratic citizenship" (University Press of New England, 2008)
- Miriam Smith ed., "Group Politics and Social Movements in Canada" (Broadview Press, 2007)
- Athan Theoharis "The quest for absolute security: the failed relations among U.S. intelligence agencies." (I.R. Dee, 2007)
LinksSocial Sciences Research Network
Clemson Canada Center
Southern Association of Canadian Studies
The William Gilmore Simms Society
University of Haifa