Download Adobe Reader

Academic Advising

The Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice strives to provide thorough and individualized advising services to each of our students throughout their academic careers.  Freshman and sophomore students are initially assigned to a professional advisor who introduces them to their major curriculum and helps them navigate their general education requirements.  Juniors and seniors are then matched with a faculty advisor who assists with professional exploration and graduation planning.  Services provided by both our faculty and staff advisors include:

  • Face-to-face meetings during the fall and spring semesters to review degree progress
  • Assistance with course selection and registration clearance
  • Availability to answer questions and help with academic advising forms
  • Provision of information regarding campus resources and career and professional development opportunities

Through our frequent contact, our advisors and students often establish mentoring relationships, and we take pride in the lasting personal and professional connections that develop between students and faculty in our department.

For more information on advising in the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice, please explore the frequently asked questions below or contact Jason Chavis

Please access your Degree Works report, the Undergraduate Announcements for your catalog year, or the curriculum trackers below to review the academic requirements for your selected program.  Note that degree requirements may change slightly from year to year; these curriculum trackers represent the current catalog year.  If you are following an older curriculum, please refer to your Degree Works report or the appropriate version of the Undergraduate Announcements.  If you would like a copy of an older curriculum tracker, you may request one from Jennifer Holland.

Your Degree Works report will typically indicate which courses fulfill multiple requirements for your degree program; however, Degree Works is not always accurate.  Please consult your advisor if you have questions regarding double dipping.  In general, the following guidelines apply:

  • Courses that count toward a student’s major MAY NOT also count toward the minor.
    • A course that falls under a student’s major rubric MAY be used for the minor, as long as it is not also counted toward the student’s major. (For instance, a sociology major who is a women’s leadership minor may choose to count SOC 4610 toward the major OR the minor, but not both.)
    • Courses under a student’s major rubric MAY NOT count toward the cluster social science minor.  (For instance, an anthropology major may not count any ANTH course toward the cluster social science minor, even if it is not being used for the major.)
  • In most cases, courses that count toward general education or B.A./B.S. requirements MAY simultaneously fulfill students’ minor requirements.
  • Courses that meet general education cross-cultural awareness and science and technology in society requirements MAY double dip with courses anywhere else in a student’s curriculum (major, minor, general education, or B.A./B.S.) as long as at least 31 credit hours of general education coursework are completed.
  • A course that fulfills the general education humanities requirement MAY NOT double dip with the additional humanities requirements that B.A. students must complete.

All changes of program are now completed online through iRoar. Select Student>Student Records>Undergraduate Change of Program. After entering and submitting your anticipated graduation date, you will see your current curriculum. Scroll to the far right of the screen and click the “Change” link. Select the desired changes using the dropdown boxes. Sometimes making one change affects other boxes, so make sure that all information is complete and correct, and then click the “Submit” button. Double check your changes, and then “Submit” one more time.

Your change of program request will be forwarded to your advisor. If it is approved, you will receive a confirmation email within a few days indicating that the changes have been made. If your request is denied, you will receive an email providing the reason for the denial. You can make the requested changes and resubmit your form, or check with your advisor for further instructions.

To find your assigned advisor in iRoar, click on Student > Student Records > View Student Information.  You may also view your advisor assignment and access a direct link to his or her email address in Degree Works.

The Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice requires that all continuing students meet with their advisors twice each year in order to be cleared for registration.  Advising for fall classes typically takes place in March or April, and spring advising generally occurs in October or November.  Please be on the lookout for an email from the department with instructions for signing up for advising appointments each March and October.

Your advisor can provide assistance with these forms. Student forms and their instructions can be found on the Registrar’s website.

For more information on academic forgiveness, please visit this site.

If you are considering taking classes elsewhere, you may use the Transfer Course Equivalency List to see how courses from other institutions have transferred to Clemson in the past.  Please remember that the university has a residency requirement and that students must complete at least 37 of their final 43 hours of coursework at Clemson.

If the class that interests you is full or if you want to request an exception to the prerequisite or class standing requirements, please contact the instructor for assistance.  If you are unable to register for a class that you need due to departmental curriculum changes or special student status or if you have any other questions or concerns related to course registration, please contact Jennifer Holland.

Because financial aid eligibility requirements vary widely, we encourage our students to visit the Financial Aid Office for any questions regarding scholarships, grants, and loans.

Please contact Zyrika Pellumb for assistance with the change of major process.

Advisor Jason Chavis would be glad to assist you with your visit to our department.  Please email him with the date of your visit, the major that interests you, and any additional information that may be helpful in making the necessary arrangements.

A degree in one of these three fields will prepare you for a wide variety of careers that require critical thinking and problem solving skills and the ability to understand and interact with individuals, groups, and communities.  The following sites provide general information about social science careers:

You may also scroll to the bottom of Clemson’s page for each of our majors for further information about what some of our recent graduates are doing: