If you have a Clemson recommended laptop that is out-of-warranty and you did not purchase an extended service contract, here are some repair options or ideas:
1) If your hard drive fails, you can purchase a new hard drive. It can be purchased from an office supply store or an online vendor such as Amazon, or the Clemson Computer Store. For a fee, the CCIT Support Center can install and image the new hard drive for you - and attempt to get data from the old one (depending on how 'dead' it is).
2) If you get a 'fan error', first try blowing out the fan with some canned air (which can be purchased in any office supply store). If that does not fix the problem, you can bring it to the CCIT Support Center for a replacement. The cost of the fan plus labor will be around $150 depending on the cost of the fan.
3) If your power supply (charger) breaks, you can buy one directly from the vendor or from a third party online store. Be sure to purchase a branded adapter, i.e. Dell, Lenovo, or Apple.
4) If your battery will no longer charge, you may want to purchase a new one from the laptop vendor.
5) If your laptop will not turn on (even though you have a working power supply attached), it is likely that your motherboard needs to be replaced. Apple motherboards are very expensive. Usually the PC motherboards are more reasonable. We suggest that you get an estimate done.
6) If your wireless card or Ethernet ports do not work,you can purchase a USB device to replace that functionality (rather than replacing the motherboard). All of those devices can be purchased rather inexpensively from an office supply store or an online vendor.
7) If your screen breaks, you can attach the computer to a monitor and turn it into a 'desktop'. There is a port for a monitor on every Clemson-recommended laptop.
8) If your software 'breaks' or you're not sure of what is wrong, bring your laptop by the CCIT Support Center and we'll be glad to image it or help diagnose the problem. There is a fee for hardware estimates if the issue is not software-based.