Managed Print Services FAQ’s
1. What is Managed Print Services (MPS)?
Clemson University has selected Ricoh to provide Managed Print Services (MPS) for the entire University. In the past, we have had to utilize multiple vendors in order to fulfill Clemson’s printing needs, making the management of these devices and services challenging and not always the most cost effective choice for the University. Pursuant to a Clemson University contract awarded via the State of South Carolina Managed Print Services Request for Proposal (RFP), for the next 5 years, Ricoh will be managing the service, consumable supplies and devices for the entire University.
The MPS program offers a significant overall cost savings to the University. These savings, along with the opportunity to introduce new technology while significantly reducing our carbon footprint, prompted the Administrative Council to approve moving forward with Ricoh as the MPS vendor.
With the MPS program, Clemson will be able to utilize Ricoh’s technology and expertise to reduce hard costs, provide a stable and consistent support system, and reduce the use of non-renewable resources. These goals are consistent with Clemson’s 2020 plan to become one of the top universities in environmental sustainability and ultimately become a carbon neutral University by 2030.
2. What is Print Smart?
Print Smart is a branding campaign for the Managed Print Services Program at Clemson to bring campus-wide, conscientious awareness and excitement to document creation, output and distribution practices at Clemson University.
3. What does the Managed Print Services program include?
Manage Print Services include:
4. How will the MPS program benefit Clemson University?
The MPS program will benefit users in multiple ways.
5. What type of equipment is included in the MPS program?
Exclusion: Devices leased from third-party vendors (such as: Konica-Minolta, Kyocera) will not be inventoried / tagged and are not considered a part of the MPS program.
6. Does my equipment have to be networked to be in the MPS program?
No, both networked and locally-connected devices are included in the MPS program.
7. What happens if a department's output requirements change?
If a department notices a substantial change in output needs such as volume, number of users, application changes, etc., please call the Print Smart team at 864-656-0202. Ricoh will re-evaluate the needs of the department and make appropriate equipment adjustments.
8. How does my department enroll in the MPS Program? How will we be contacted?
All departments will be notified by the Print Smart team and added to the program implementation schedule utilizing specific requirements (i.e. immediate needs, location, leased equipment expiration date etc.).
9. What criteria are used to determine the department's equipment needs?
When placing hardware, Ricoh considers multiple factors to ensure the satisfaction of all users. Although monthly volume is a major consideration, they will also evaluate other needs such as: speed, quality, finishing capabilities, ease-of-use, and paper handling capacity. Ricoh will also review the department's need to print from special applications to ensure that the appropriate device is specified.
10. What does the departmental assessment include? How will I know when they are coming to my area?
Per the roll-out schedule, a Ricoh analyst will contact you to determine the best time to conduct the device inventory (tagging) and assessment. The analyst will work with a Clemson escort through the area to insure required access to all offices / areas.
There are three main steps:
1. INVENTORY AND TAGGING: During Phase I, the Ricoh assessment teams will schedule visits with each department to present the MPS program details, inventory and tag devices. The purpose of this activity is to determine where each multi-functional device (MFD) is located and schedule Ricoh replacements for those machines that have an expired or near-term expiring contract.
The Print Smart program team will inventory and tag the following devices in your area:
The tag will have a new service and supply phone number to call. Once the tag is placed on the device, it becomes a part of the PRINT SMART program.
2. ASSESSMENT: Based on the data collected during the inventory process, Ricoh will utilize print management technology to optimize the print environment and provide a comprehensive report of devices, utilization, and operational costs per device (approximately 3 months after tagging).
3. RECOMMENDATION: Based upon the inventory and assessment, Ricoh will provide alternatives for document print flow to maximize productivity and increase cost savings. This phase involves business process optimization. Ricoh will be working with each department to analyze current business processes to enhance productivity and efficiency.
11. I have security and compliance requirements. Will I lose those features?
All security and compliance requirements will be noted during the assessment and factored into the final recommendation.
12. Will equipment be removed from the department?
In assessing Clemson’s current printing environment, several areas of improvement were identified. Findings in the initial review revealed Clemson’s current fleet includes: too much equipment, the wrong type of equipment, and redundant layers of equipment. With this in mind, cost savings and workflow productivity enhancements can be achieved by skillfully balancing the ratio of equipment to users and matching equipment needs more effectively to the user base throughout the campus. Each department assessment will take into consideration the current printing environment and recommend cost savings and efficiency opportunities within the assessment proposal.
13. What if my department doesn't agree or understand the assessment proposal and wants to retain or add additional equipment?
Based on the thorough assessment, you will be presented with the options that best fit your specific, departmental requirements. If your department has alternative suggestions or comments to compliment the assessment findings and proposed solution, your representative may send an e-mail to the Print Smart project team at: PrintSmart@lists.clemson.edu to discuss options and request clarification.
EQUIPMENT AND TRAINING
14. What is the order and billing process after Ricoh presents me with a proposal for a leased multifunction device?
This is Ricoh’s method to get equipment moving to your location. Mike Nebesky, Clemson Director of Procurement, has approved this process.
Billing: New, multifunction devices are leased from Ontario Leasing and billed annually. Detailed monthly billing reports for actual prints / copies made will be accessible on the “P” drive (similar to how you are billed by Campus Mail Services). You only pay for the cost per impression for actual usage. All billing questions can be directed to the Service Delivery Manager, Merritt Rechichar at 864-248-7003.
15. Will departments have to buy new equipment after we enroll in the program?
No, although your existing equipment may be replaced with leased equipment from Ricoh, departments will not have to buy new equipment. All equipment, service, maintenance and supplies (excluding paper) are included in the managed print services program.
16. What happens to the current leased equipment?
The majority of leases will be allowed to expire; however, areas with leased equipment (other than Ricoh devices) will still be on the inventory / tagging schedule to be included in the Managed Print Services program.
17. I just bought new equipment. What should I do?
Once your department is a part of the Print Smart Program and you purchase new equipment, that device will be tagged immediately upon install and all benefits of the program will be applied. Ricoh will assess the equipment and determine the best process to implement cost savings measures.
18. Will training be provided if I receive new equipment?
Ricoh will provide on-site training for all devices placed under the Managed Print Services Program. If there are additional questions after your initial training, please feel free to contact the Print Smart team at: PrintSmart@lists.clemson.edu to schedule additional training. Quick reference guides, tips and tricks and additional information will be available under the “Useful Documents Section” and are available for download at: www.clemson.edu/PrintSmart.
SERVICE AND SUPPLIES
19. After I have been placed in the MPS program, who should I contact for equipment service?
Once your printer / multifunction device is inventoried and tagged, it becomes a part of the PRINT SMART program. If you need service for your tagged printer / multifunction device:
Provide the following information:
Service issues will be escalated to the PRINT SMART support specialists who will promptly respond to the request.
20. My department is not yet a part of the MPS program and my equipment needs servicing. Who should I contact?
If it is a non-Ricoh device, contact your current service provider. The contact information should be provided on the equipment tag. If the machine is a Ricoh device, please call 864-656-0202.
21. What will the Ricoh’s response time be?
Ricoh will provide a two (2) hour average response time. A Print Smart team member will provide a call to your area over the phone or in person to your area to diagnose the service issue.
Ricoh will provide a four (4) hour average restoration time from the point of the call. Ricoh will ensure that you have the ability to print / copy your documents through redirection or resolution.
Ricoh will provide an eight (8) hour average up-time on your device, or provide a replacement in your immediate area.
22. After I have been placed in the MPS program, who should I contact for supplies?
Once your printer / multifunction device is inventoried and tagged, Ricoh will become your “one-stop shop” for all toner and supplies in the PRINT SMART program.
If you need to place a toner or supply order for your tagged printer / multifunction device, follow these steps:
23. Are departments required to purchase extra supplies? Will departments be responsible for ordering, installing and tracking supplies?
No. You will not be required to purchase any supplies. Ricoh will order, install and track all supplies associated with print devices that are a part of the program. All operational costs are included in the cost per impression.
24. Are the student lab printers included in the MPS program?
No. Paw Prints will continue to be handled by CCIT.
If the answer to your question is not available here, you may contact the Print Smart team as follows:
PRINT SMART direct line: 864-656-0202
Service Delivery Manager, Merritt Rechichar: 864-248-7003
On-site hours (Dillard Building): Monday – Friday, 8:00AM – 5:00PM
The PRINT SMART team provides on-site, printer fleet management support to Clemson‘s main campus. Remote support is provided to other university locations.