This page contains answers to common questions handled by our support staff, along with some tips and tricks that we have found useful and presented here as questions.

  1. How do I...?
  2. Where can I find...?
  3. Why doesn't...?
  4. Who is...?


How Do I...?

Create personal web space?

Individuals no longer automatically receive a personal website in their U: drive's public.www folder. On February 20, 2016 all existing sites will be moved to the new people server. If you want a personal website for a new userid, please use the link below to request one. New personal websites will be created once the new resources are available.

Put a search form on my web page?

Go to the "CCIT Search How-to Information Page" for details on how to add a search form to your Clemson web page

Retrieve mail from a form on my web page?

Go to the "CCIT FormMail Information Page" for details on creating a form whose data will be mailed to you from your Clemson web page. Note: Formail is a use at your own risk application. No support is provided for it.

Password-protect my web page?

Go to the "Securing web pages with HTACCESS.TXT" page for details on how to protect your Novell-based web pages

Have my club or organization's web page listed on the Student Organizations Page?

All formally recognized student organizations are listed at https://stuaff.clemson.edu/organizations. This information comes directly from OrgSync so to update it, a club officer will need to change their club's OrgSyn profile.

FTP files to my web space?

Go to the "CCIT FTP Information Page" for details on how to ftp to your Novell-based Clemson web space.

Change my information in the online University Phone Book?

Employee information comes from the Employee database. Contact the individual in your department who is responsible for PeopleSoft data to have your record changed. Student information comes from the Student database. Some of it you can change from within Banner / iROAR. The rest you must contact the Student Records Office to have changed. 

Write my own cgi's?

You can write your own cgi programs in both your personal web space and any Novell-based departmental or organization web space in PHP. You cannot use C or C++, except on Clemix based web sites. Perl is available only on some older servers.

PHP is a very powerful language that requires no special editors and can be included inside your HTML code. For more information on PHP see the PHP home page at http://www.php.net At Clemson, if you want to create a PHP script name your file with the .php extension. If there is proper php code embedded in your html, it will be run. No special editor is needed to write PHP scripts.

If you write them in Perl for your U: Drive or other Novell-based web site, you must use an editor which allows you to save it with a .cgi extension as a "unix file".

Back to Top

Where can I find...?

Email address, phone number, web address or contact info for an individual at Clemson University?

To locate an individual's email address, phone number, or other contact info, please refer to our Clemson University Phonebook at: http://www.clemson.edu/phonebook

Information on applying to Clemson?

For information on applying to Clemson, go to http://www.clemson.edu/admissions

Back to Top

Why doesn't...?

My web space allow me to use real Java?

You can code Java applets in your web space but not Java Script or server-side Java such as jsp or servlets. This is because of the type of webservers which serve the Departmental and personal pages.

The web space let me use long file names?

You can use long file names but you must not include any spaces in the file name. Use underscore characters (_) as spacers if you need them.

The web space let me use asp or .net?

All of Clemson's general purpose web servers are linux servers rather than Windows. They do not "speak" MicroSoft" so they cannot support asp or .net.

Back to Top

Who is...?

The contact for information on Undergraduate Admissions to Clemson University?


The contact for information on Admission to Clemson University's Graduate School?


Responsible for the main Clemson University web pages?

The Office of Web Services in Clemson's Creative Services group maintains the top layers of the www.clemson.edu web site. They also are responsible for the Cascade web content manangement system. To contact OWS, email web_services-l@clemson.edu.

The Webmaster for ...?

Clemson University: Creative Services

Clemson Computing and Information Technology: Dwayne Lusk

College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences: Sennah Honea

College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities: Eduardo Nieves

College of Business and Public Affairs: Reba Purdessy

College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences: Gary Malstrom

College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences: Tracy Kelly

Cooperative Extension Service: PSA CAFLS Web Team

University Housing: Ashley Young

University Libraries: Creative Services


Back to Top

help button

Contact CCIT
Service Desk:

Support Hours
(864) 656-3494

Live Chat

Help & Support Form
Use this form to report a problem, ask for help or leave a comment.