Download Adobe Reader

International Students - Short Internships

Students are encouraged to take advantage of shorter, summer internships opportunities even though these may not meet the criteria to count toward the internship requirement.

Whether the internship is paid or unpaid, international students need CPT authorization and the internship must be directly related to the student's field of study. The internship has to correlate with a class.

If you will not be using this internship to fulfill your graduation requirement, you can work through the co-op office to gain your authorization. You must complete the IS-130 CPT form and have both your academic advisor and the co-op office (864-656-3150) fill it out and sign off on it. When completing the IS-130, select the last choice (top of page two) under section III to explain why the CPT should be authorized. With this approach, you are only paying the co-op fee and will not be charged tuition. This method is being used by some students who have an industrial internship for the summer but will later work on Deep Orange.

If you have a three-month offer but have been told that this could be extended, you may want to consider taking AuE 890 credit for the internship. You would follow the approval and registration directions outlined here.  The reporting requirements apply to all students in AuE 890. The benefit to signing up for AuE 890 credits during your first summer is that you could potentially graduate in May instead of August.

Students are encouraged to complete a continuous six month internship to maximize their experience; however, it is acceptable to split the internship into parts as long as six months are completed.  Deep Orange students are required to remain with Deep Orange for the entire six-month duration with no exceptions.