Bioengineering and Bioimaging Core Instruments
Dr. Robert Latour, Core Director
1. HPLC/GPC system, Waters
Applications: MW determination, high resolution separation and purification.
- Binary Gradient Pumping System
- Photodiode Array Detector (Wavelength Range from 190 to 800 nm),
- Refractive Index Detector (Refractive Index Range: 1.00 to 1.75 RIU),
- Multi Lambda Fluorescence Detector (Operates from 200 to 900nm),
- Column Heater (Temperature Range from 20oC to 60oC),
- Fraction Collector
;2. Circular Dichroism Spectropolarimeter, Jasco J-810, Jasco Inc.
Specifications: Wavelength range from 163 to 900 nm
Peltier type temperature controller Jasco PFD-425S,
Automated pH titrator Jasco ATS-429S.
- Allows to verify the chirality of molecules or compounds;
- Using available software, fractions of each different conformation in protein structure can be estimated;
- The conformational changes of molecules with temperature can be studied;
- Useful for verifying that the protein is in its native conformation
- Protein folding studies;
- Purity testing of optically active substances
3. Surface Plasmon Resonance Spectroscopy (SPR) Biacore X, GE Healthcare
For measuring the interactions between proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, small molecules, and whole cells.
- Temperature regulation from 4 to 40oC;
- Flow rates 1-100 μL/min;
- Required sample volume: injection volume (minimum 5 μL +20 μl);
- Molecular weight detection: >180 Da;
- Refractive index range from 1.33 to 1.40;
- Sensitivity: 70000 RU*, where RU, resonance units, 1RU = 1 pg/mm2 of sensor surface.
4. Variable-Angle Spectroscopic Ellipsometer Sopra GES 5, Semilab
Measures layer thicknesses of thin film layers on flat substrates from monoatomic to several microns thick.
- The beam size: 1 mm2 and 10 mm2;
- The variable angles: from 7º to 90º with variable +/- 0.01º;
- Spectral range from 200 nm to 800 nm.
5. Refractive index analysis instrument Reichert AR700, Reichert Inc.
- Reading range of 1.33000 to 1.60000 Refractive Index and the full Brix scale
- Precision: to 0.01 Brix or 0.00001 RI
6. Flame atomic absorption spectrometer A Analyst 200, Perkin Elmer
Specifications: Wavelength range: from 189 to 900 nm.
- For determining very precisely the concentration of a particular element in a liquid sample. Can detect from 1 to 1000 µg/L.
- For each element, the specific lamp is required. Ca, Fe, and Cu lamps are available.
7. Contact Angle Measuring Instrument DSA-20E, Krüss
Completely automated drop creation, drop volume control, and drop rate.Applications:
- Determination of static and dynamic contact angle by 5 methods including elliptical, polynomial, and height width;
- Determination of surface and interfacial tension of liquids by pendant drop software
8. Materials Testing System Synergie100, MTS
Applications: Tensile, Flex, Peel/Tear, Strain, and Compression test methods.
- Loading available: 10 N and 100 N (2 lbf );
- Speed range: from 0.001 to 1000 mm/min (0.00004 to 39 in/min);
- Max specimen thickness for grips: 13 mm (0.5 in);
- 50 mm (2.0 inch) diameter lightweight compression platens;
- Face set, 25x25 mm rubber, for 100/2000 advantage pneumatic and screw action grips.
9. Bose Electroforce 3230 testing system, Bose
- Multi-specimen fatigue test;
- Combined axial and torsion loading;
- 450 N maximum force;
- Sterilizable BioDynamic chambers for live tissue characterization
10. Electrospinning system, home build
Applications: aligned of randomly oriented nanofibers for scaffolds in tissue engineering, wound dressing, porous coatings, sutures, probes, etc.
- Two regulated FC series high voltage power supplies from Glassman: 0-30kV with positive polarity and 0-12 kV with negative polarity;
- NE-300 programmable syringe pump; and
- controllable syringe heater with max.t =185°C from New Era, Inc.
11. Plasma cleaner/sterilizer, Harrick
- Removes organic contamination from surfaces;
- Plasma activation of surfaces.
- Expanded Pyrex plasma chamber 6″ diameter x 6.5″ length (15.24 cm x16.51 cm);
- PlasmaFlo gas mixer;
- Oxygen service pump.
12. Programmable compact spin coater VTC-100, MTI Corp.
Applications: Deposition of thin films on flat surfaces.
Features: 500 - 8000 RPM adjustable spinning speed
13. Ultra Sound imaging system Vevo2100 , Fuji Film, Visual Sonics Inc.
- Real time non-invasive ultra sound imaging
- Contrast imaging with dies;
- Molecular imaging with nanoparticles;
- For blood flow, vascularity, tissue stiffness, cardiac strain studies, and more.
15. MicroCT SkyScan 1176, Bruker
- In vivo 3D imaging of small animals: rats and mice.
- Wide range of imaging: from soft to hard tissue, to titanium implants.
- 4D time resolved microtomography.