BYLAWS OF THE CLEMSON
UNIVERSITY BRANCH of the HEALTH PHYSICS SOCIETY
Adopted November 19, 1996
The name of the
organization shall be the Clemson University Branch (hereafter designated as
the Branch) of the Health Physics Society (hereafter designated as the
1. The primary objective of the Branch is the same as that of the Society
which is to promote the development of scientific knowledge and practical means
for protecting persons and their environment for the harmful effects of
radiation, thus providing for its utilization for the benefit of society.
2. The major goals of the Branch are:
promote the professional development of its members by its programs and by its
relations with (i) other student Branches, (ii) with its affiliated regional
Health Physics Society Chapter, and (iii) with the Health Physics Society;
contribute toward the development of the science and technology of radiation
protection at Clemson University through activities in which student members,
staff, the faculty, and members of the local HPS Chapter may participate; and
enhance the public awareness of the profession of health physics and radiation
protection through its educational programs.
1. The activities of the Branch and its members shall be governed by (1)
the Articles of Incorporation, BYLAWS, and RULES of the Society, (2) the BYLAWS
and RULES of the Branch, and (3) the Rules and Regulations of Clemson
2. The Branch shall not have authority to act for or in the name of the
Society. No action, financial or other obligation or expression of the
Branch as a whole without prior approval of the Board of Directors of the
Society, shall be considered an action, obligation, or expression of the
3. Branch policy shall be set by the Branch Executive Council. An
Annual Report of the Branch shall be submitted by the Branch Secretary to the
Chair of the Academic and Professional Education Committee prior to the Annual
Meeting of the Society. The Report shall describe the financial and
membership status of the Branch and major scientific and technical activities
during the year.
4. Every activity of the Branch shall be conducted in such a manner that
it shall be financially sound as determined by the Treasurer of the Branch.
detailed in its LETTER OF AFFILIATION, the Branch shall be affiliated with the
Savannah River Site Chapter of the Health Physics Society (hereinafter
designated as the Chapter). Consequently, the Executive Council of the
Branch is obligated to:
an adequate representation of the Branch membership in the membership of the
an adequate representation of the Branch membership at the meetings of the
when possible and appropriate, the activities of the Branch with those of the
1. Any student enrolled at Clemson University with an interest consistent
with the objective and goals of this organization shall be eligible for
membership. Member of the faculty or staff, as well as members of the
local HPS Chapter, who are members of the Health Physics Society may become
non-voting members of the Branch, but shall be ineligible to vote or hold
2. Any qualified person becomes a member of the Branch upon payment of
3. The annual dues for student members shall be determined by the
Executive council at its first meeting of the year. Dues are payable
throughout the academic year, but the amount will not be pro-rated.
4. Membership in the Branch ceases when (1) the Executive Council accepts
the written resignation of the member, (2) the individual is not longer a
student at Clemson University, or (3) a member allows his or her dues to go
unpaid after 3 months of the calendar year for which the dues are
specified. Persons whose membership ceases because of nonpayment of dues
may be reinstated to membership during the calendar year in which the
delinquency occurs upon payment of the dues in arrears. Resigning from
the membership or loss of membership because of the failure to pay dues shall
not prejudice the right of an individual to make a new application for
membership in the Branch.
1. The elected officers of the Branch shall be the President,
Vice-President, and Secretary/Treasurer. Membership in the affiliated
Chapter and in the Society is required of each student officer and of the
2. The President is the presiding officer of the Branch and, as such, is
responsible for the overall administration of affairs of the Branch.
3. The Vice-President of the Branch shall preside at all meetings of the
Branch upon the absence of the President. The Vice-President shall
perform duties as delegated to him/her by the President.
4. The Secretary/Treasurer shall be responsible for all monies of the
Branch in accordance with Article XII, Section 2. The Secretary/Treasurer
shall maintain a record of all meetings and is responsible for all official
1. The Executive Council is the governing body of the Branch, and as
such, shall have, hold, and control all funds and activities of the Branch in
accordance with the BYLAWS governing these matters. It consists of the
President, Vice-President, Secretary/Treasurer, Chairpersons of all Standing
Committees, and the Faculty Advisor(s).
2. The Executive Council meets at the call of the President who presides
over the meetings. A written request to an Officer and which bears the
signatures of at least three (3) members of the Council requires that a meeting
3. A simple majority of the Executive Council shall constitute a quorum.
4. An Annual Report on the activities of and finances of the Branch shall
be made by the Executive Council to the members of the Branch at its Annual
Meeting. The Annual Report shall be forwarded to the Chair of the
Academic Education Committee of the Health Physics Society by the Branch
Secretary prior to the Society's Annual Meeting.
1. The Executive Council shall establish committees to assist the Council
in the development and administration of programs, projects, and
policies. Committees Chairpersons shall be elected from the membership as
designated in ARTICLE X.
2. All committee chairpersons shall be responsible for keeping records of
the activities of their committees and shall submit such records to the Branch
Secretary/Treasurer for inclusion in the Annual Report.
1. The Branch shall hold regular meetings and special meetings as such
times and places as designated by the Executive Council in accordance with
Regulations of Clemson University.
2. A quorum of thirty percent (30%) of all members in good standing must
be present to conduct official business.
3. The Branch shall hold its Annual Meeting no later than May 31 of each
4. The Robert's Manual shall be the guide for any parliamentary procedure
not especially provided for in the RULES of the Branch.
Tenure, Vacancies, and Election
1. A new Branch Term begins with the close of each Annual Meeting of the
2. The term of office for elected officers shall be one Branch
Term. Such officeholders remain in office until a successor has been
elected and installed in the office.
3. A vacancy occurs in an office when (1) the officeholder resigns from
office, (2) the officeholder ceases to function in the office because of death
or other circumstances, or (3) the term of office expires.
4. In the event of a vacancy which creates an unexpired term in any
elected office other than the Presidency, the Executive Council may make an appointment
to that office through the next Annual Meeting of the Branch; the vacancy shall
then be filled by a vote of the membership under the regular election
procedures. When the office of President becomes vacant, the Vice-President
assumes the duties of the President.
5. The regular election procedure by which a vote of the membership is
taken shall be as follows:
of candidates shall be submitted to the Branch Secretary/Treasurer at the
meeting immediately prior to the Annual Meeting under the restrictions of
Articles V and XII. Nominations shall remain open until the Annual
Meeting. Any member may nominate another member for a particular office
at that meeting under the restrictions of Articles V and XII. A different
member must second the nomination by saying "aye". Nominations
for a particular office shall close with "aye" by a majority of the
of the Officers and Committee Chairpersons will be held at the Annual
Meeting. Before election of a particular office, all candidates for that
office must exit the meeting room. Election of officers shall be decided
by a majority vote of the members present. Election of Committee
Chairpersons shall be decided by a majority vote of the members of that committee.
If no majority is possessed by one of the three or more candidates, the
candidate with the least number of votes shall be dropped from the
ballot. Voting shall then continue until one candidate receives a
Amendments to the Bylaws
1. Amendments to these Bylaws may be proposed at any regular meeting of
the Branch. Adoptions of a proposed amendment shall require the
affirmation vote of not less than two-thirds of the total voting membership of
the Branch, and shall require the approval of the Faculty Advisor.
2. Any proposed amendments to the Bylaws shall be submitted in writing to
the Executive Council at least ten days prior to the vote.
Clemson University Regulations
1. All officers shall be required to maintain a proper scholastic record
as required by the Regulations of Clemson University.
2. All monies belonging to this Branch shall be deposited and dispersed
through a bank account established for this Branch at the South Carolina State
3. At the beginning of each school year, or as needed, the President,
Secretary/Treasurer, and Faculty Advisor shall register the Branch with the
Student Activities Office and the South Carolina State Credit Union.
4. The selection of a faculty advisor is at the discretion of the voting
members that are in good standing with the organization.
5. A two-thirds majority for those present at the first meeting of the
newly-formed organization will be necessary to ratify the constitution.