Dixon Global Policy Scholars
An exciting program for a select number of Honors students, the Dixon Global Policy Scholars (GPS) offers a challenging learning opportunity for students interested in pursuing a major scholarship (such as the Rhodes, Truman or Marshall) and in enhancing their knowledge of the issues that shape the world.
The Dixon GPS students will travel to Paris, France and Berlin, Germany in May for a study program, and will take specialized courses in dealing with politics, economics, philosophy, and public policy. Other features of the program include topical discussion groups and individualized mentoring.
This program is limited to 12 students per year. Freshmen and sophomores from all majors are encouraged to apply.
- A 10-day study travel experience to France and Germany in May 2019
- Support in applying for major scholarships and graduate school.
- Specialized coursework, seminars and workshops.
- Preparation for Major Fellowship applications, such as the Rhodes, Marshall, and Truman Scholarships
The Dixon GPS is open to:
- Freshmen who have a suggested minimum 3.60 GPR
- Sophomores who have a suggested minimum 3.75 GPR
- Applicants with an interest in pursuing a major scholarship, such as the Rhodes, Truman or Marshall
- Applicants with an interest in deepening their understanding of global policy, economics, politics, culture, science, technology and the arts
Important: The announced GPR minimums for Dixon GPS are 3.75 (sophomores) and 3.60 (freshman). However, the committee will accept applications from students with lower GPRs with sufficient justification.
The 2019 Dixon GPS application can be found here: https://bit.ly/2Tedvfw. The application is due by January 25, 2019 at 11:59pm.
2019 Travel Dates
The travel dates for the Dixon GPS trip are May 12-23, 2019.
Students who apply to the Dixon GPS program commit to taking two courses, to be taught from 6:15-9:00pm on Tuesdays in Fall 2019 and Spring 2020. Students who are co-oping, studying abroad, or another compelling reason may choose to take the courses during a later semester.
Letters of Support
Each applicant is required to have a Letter of Support from a Clemson faculty member. The deadline to submit the faculty letter of support is 11:59pm, January 25, 2019. All faculty letters must be submitted using this Google form: https://bit.ly/2SyiqIf. Be sure to send this link to your faculty reference. You can also advise them to email Prof. William Lasser, firstname.lastname@example.org, if they have any questions.
When writing a letter of support for a student who is applying to Dixon GPS, the criteria that should be addressed include:
- Evidence of and continued potential for academic success including the student’s ability to think and write analytically;
- The student’s maturity, motivation, and seriousness of purpose;
- The student’s level of interest in international and/or national issues;
- The student’s potential to have an impact on the world around him/her.
The only cost paid by participants will be one credit taken in association with the May 2019 study travel, and incidental travel expenses, including some meals.