Skip to main content
Clemson Campus Album
Top Choice Bar
Album HomeCentral CampusOutlying CampusBygone Clemson
 

Calhoun Mansion

Unofficially named for: John Caldwell Calhoun, U.S. Vice President, Senator, Secretary of State, and famed orator of the 19th century, whose home it was


Officially known as Fort Hill, being named for the highest point on the Calhoun plantation overlooking Fort Rutledge

Completed: 1803 as the Clergy Hall; expanded to its present size and renamed Fort Hill in about 1830

Architect: unknown

Note: a National Historic Landmark, the highest status for an historic building


Lead Authors Priscilla Munson Dennis Taylor
  Reference Unit Special Collections
Web Authoring Gordon Cochrane Additional Photography
  Web Manager Priscilla Munson & Jon Truesdale
© Clemson University, 2002-2012 | April 27, 2012
Clemson Libraries Special Collections Clemson University .