Reginald Andrew Baumgardner, 1935 – 2011
Professor Emeritus of Horticulture. Graduated from Clemson and went on to receive M.S. and Ph.D. from University of Maryland. Originally from Taylors, S.C. Was active in First Baptist Church of Clemson. Had a passion for fishing and raising daylilies.
Clayton Aucoin, 1930 – 2011
Professor Emeritus of Mathematical Science. Came to Clemson in 1963. Served as Dean of the College of Physical and Mathematical Science. Was known for his dedication to students and faculty development.
Harold N. Cooledge, Jr., 1923 – 2011
Alumni Professor Emeritus of Art and Architectural History. A graduate of Harvard University. Spent 40 years on the faculty at Clemson. He was instrumental in the effort to restore Thomas Green Clemson’s collection of paintings. Also remembered for his passion of music and the stage.
Bill Gravely Durham, 1928 – 2011
Professor Emeritus of Spanish. Taught at both secondary and college levels. Received a Fulbright Fellowship to study in Spain. Was a member of the first U.S. Air Force quartet and later sang with the Greenville Chorale for 42 years.
John Patrick Fulmer, 1924 – 2011
Professor Emeritus of Horticulture. Was responsible for development of the Ornamental Gardens at Clemson as well as the Southeastern Nurseryman’s Association. After retirement, he was Director of Gardens at the Baha’i World Center in Israel for six years. Was a WWII Navy Veteran.
Nancy Hardesty, 1942 – 2011
Professor Emerita of Religion. Held a Ph.D. in the history of Christianity from the University of Chicago. Author of seven books and co-founder of the Evangelical and Ecumenical Women’s Caucus for which she was serving as secretary at the time of her death.
James C. Hite, 1941 – 2011
Alumni Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Agricultural Economics. Came to Clemson as a student in 1959. Served on the faculty for 31 years and was a Senior Fellow in the Strom Thurmond Institute. Was an influential policy analyst in South Carolina frequently quoted by the media.
James Harvey Hobson, Sr., 1917 – 2011
Alumni Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Chemistry. Originally from Townville. Earned Ph.D. from Emory. Was a member of Phi Kappa Phi. Tutored elementary and junior high students after retirement. Delivered Meals on Wheels. Was an avid gardener and judged flower shows throughout the Carolinas and Georgia.
William Garraux Hudson, 1925 – 2010
Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering. Began career at Clemson in 1948. Also worked for the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying. Fought in the Battle of the Bulge during WWII. Received many honors including Alumni Master Teacher and Professor of the Year from the America Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Herman “Jack” Brown Jackson, Jr., 1940 – 2011
Professor Emeritus and head of the Department of Plant Industry from 1974 until his retirement in 2003. A member of the Southern and National Plant Boards and past president of the Entomological Society of America. Received the USDA Wallace Waltman Award and the American Distinguished Achievement Award in Regulatory Entomology.
Robert F. Ling, 1939 – 2011
Professor Emeritus of Mathematical Sciences. Born in Hong Kong. Earned a bachelor’s degree from Berea College and Ph.D. from Yale. Held visiting professorships at Vanderbilt, University of Chicago, Harvard and MIT. Author of several books and associate editor of the American Statistics Association. Was a master scuba diver.
Linvil Gene Rich, 1921 – 2011 Professor Emeritus of Environmental Systems Engineering and former Dean of the College of Engineering. A WWII veteran, served under General George Patton. Came to Clemson in 1960 where he was instrumental in establishing the first Ph.D. program in engineering. Research in environmental engineering is legendary. Received numerous honors and awards. Was a member of Phi Kappa Phi.
Douglas V. Rippy, 1942 – 2011 Professor Emeritus of Materials Science and Engineering. Served as Director of the School of Textiles, Fiber and Polymer Science. Grew up in Landrum and earned degrees from Clemson and the Air Force Institute of Technology. Retired as a Lt. Colonel.
Hilton V. Rogers, 1924 – 2011
Head Emeritus of Fertilizer and Analysis. Graduated with honors from Clemson in 1948 after serving in the Army Air Corps. Attended University of Wisconsin on a Kellogg Fellowship. Spent his entire career with Cooperative Extension Service. Was a member of many professional and community organizations and was Chairman of Clemson Meals on Wheels.
Jimmy Don Sheriff, 1940 – 2011
Professor Emeritus of Accountancy and Senior Associate Dean of Commerce and Industry. Was the U.S. representative to International Business Schools headquartered in France. Graduated from the U.S. Army Command and Staff College and attended both the Army and National War Colleges. Was Chief of Plans and Operations for the S.C. National Guard.
William Clyde Whitten, Jr., 1925 – 2011
Professor Emeritus of Economics. Started Clemson at the age of 16. Was a sergeant in the U.S. Army during WWII. Received the Purple Heart and three Bronze Stars. Had an interest in genealogy and was active in restoration of the old jail in Pickens and Hagood Mill.
Sam G. Woods, 1926 – 2011
Professor Emeritus of Animal Science. Held appointment with Clemson Experiment Station in Blackville. Served in U.S. Navy during WWII and was a member of the American Legion. Retired from Clemson in 1987 after 35 years of service.