Campus Bikeways - Vision and Goals
Section 1. Vision & Goals
Create a bicycle system that promotes safety and provides a robust network of commuting and recreational pathways that connect the entire
- Develop integrated bikeways and linkages that connect to important destinations and recreations areas.
- 1.1 Establish linkages and connections to on-campus housing, academic and athletic facilities and other major activity centers on
campus. Extend the network to promote connections to off-campus facilities.
- 1.2 Promote the connection of the Campus to the north and south areas of the Clemson Experimental Forest.
- 1.3 Develop a specific, prioritized set of trail heads and bike trails in the Clemson Experimental Forest that are regularly managed and
- Provide an environment that will lead to a pleasant bicycling experience.
- 2.1 Expand bicycle signage and pavement markings to promote bicycle route connectivity, a sense of safety and a place for those who
- 2.2 Develop a comprehensive, clear wayfinding system for those who ride bicycles on the extended campus, including the development of trail
heads and trail signage throughout the roads and trails of the Clemson Experimental Forest.
- 2.3 Provide and maintain a Clemson University Bicycle map.
- 2.4 Provide space to install adequate, safe and attractive bicycle storage and/or parking facilities at important locations and
- 2.5 Discuss with SCDOT engineers and other officials about the installation of bicycle detection facilities at critical signalized intersections.
- Develop a bikeway system that supports and inspires users of all ages and abilities.
- 3.1 Provide connections between on-road and recreational bikeways.
- 3.2 Coordinate bikeway routes to provide connections to the CAT bus system where feasible.
- 3.3 Ensure that new and improved bicycle facilities conform to best practices and guidelines provided by SCDOT, AASHTO and other state and
national performance standards.