Sandhill Research and Education Center
- Green Roof:
The building is topped with a green roof, on which native grasses grow
without irrigation. The roof improves the building's energy efficiency,
absorbs excess stormwater, creates a
positive microclimate, provides a natural
and adds a beautiful amenity.
- Innovative Wastewater Technologies: A greywater collection and reuse system, combined with water-efficient fixtures reduces water consumption by 63%.
Materials and Resources
- Regional and Recycled Materials: The steel structure and cladding is locally sourced and fully recyclable. All carpeting is made from recycled fibers.
Indoor Environmental Quality
- Lighting: Operable windows and high performance glazing harnesses the sun and wind to ventilate the building's open interior.
LEED® v2.1 Gold Certified 2011 - Building Statistics
- Location: 900 Clemson Road, Columbia, SC 29045
- Completion Date: October 2009
- Cost: $6 Million
- Size: 15,170 gross square feet
- Footprint: 5,920 square feet
- Construction Type: Institutional, Type 11-B
- Use Group: Office
- Lot Size: 600 acres
- Occupancy: 285