Skip to main content

Accounting Services

Related Policy

Travel Guidelines

Employee travel expenditures must be paid by the traveler from personal funds and reimbursed using a Travel Voucher upon return. Travel vouchers are the documents used to account for reimbursable faculty and staff travel costs. Travelers are expected to exercise discretion when making travel arrangements and expenditures. As an agent of State and Federal funds and private grant funds, each employee should use the following guidance when traveling:

  • Avoid excess costs, circuitous routes, delays or luxury accommodations unnecessary or unjustified in the performance of an assignment.
  • Travel by commercial airlines must be in coach or economy class.
  • Automobile transportation may be used when air and ground transportation cannot be arranged satisfactorily, or to reduce expenses when two or more University employees are traveling together.
  • Transportation to or from points of arrival and departure should be by the most economical method.

Travel Status Reimbursement versus Business Meal Reimbursement

Business Meal reimbursement procedures will be followed when an employee is traveling within 10 miles of their headquarters or overnight travel is not required.

An employee must be in travel status to be eligible for reimbursement of meals. Meals reimbursed while in travel status should not be confused with business meal reimbursements. Refer to Business Meals section of disbursement guidelines for guidance for more information. If an employee on non-overnight travel receives reimbursements for meals, this amount could be considered income and be reported on their W-2 tax form. For instance, meals on day trips are subject to tax withholding except when a business purpose for the meal can be documented. If you are claiming reimbursement for such business meals, documentation should include the name and affiliation of the person sharing the meal and the general nature of the business discussed. The Travel Log Form should be used for non-overnight meal reimbursements.

Local Travel or Travel to Other Clemson Locations

Travel may be authorized and mileage reimbursement or a rental car expense may be allowed between an employee’s primary office location and another Clemson location (i.e. Clemson campus and CU-ICAR) when pre-approved or authorized by the employee’s supervisor, in a manner of approval determined by the supervisor. If not pre-approved, mileage or other travel expenses may not be reimbursed. (see Means of Travel for specifics on reimbursements/allowable expenses)


While on official travel within the State of South Carolina, an employee’s actual expenses, based on per meal limits up to a maximum of $25 per day, will be reimbursed. While on official travel outside the State of South Carolina, an employee’s actual expenses based on per meal limits up to a maximum of $32 per day will be reimbursed. Meal per diem is only reimbursable when travel includes an overnight stay. Out of State Travel is defined as travel outside of South Carolina but within the continental US, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada or Puerto Rico.