The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires Clemson University to report certain types of payments to the recipient on Form 1099 at each calendar year end.
When completing a vendor addition form (link to form), review the “1099 Information” section carefully to determine if the vendor should be noted as a 1099 vendor. A federal tax identification number (FEIN) or social security number (SS) is required for all new vendors. The vendor should complete and return a W-9 from before payment is made.
General Exceptions: Generally payments to the following are NOT required to be reported on a Form 1099:
• Payments to corporations
• Rent payments to real estate agents
• Payments to a tax exempt organization, US government, or State government
• Travel reimbursements to consultants, speakers, etc (see note below)
Required to Report: The following types of payments are to be reported on a Form 1099: (this is not to be considered an all inclusive list)
• Rents (when paid to other than a real estate agent)
• Prizes and Awards
• Entertainers (refer to “Entertainment Contracts” section of these guidelines)
• Attorneys (even if paid to a corporation)
• Medical and health care payments (even if paid to a corporation)
Travel reimbursements with appropriate supporting documentation to consultants, speakers, etc. are to be charged to account 7039 “Travel – Speakers/Consultants.” These amounts will not be included in the individuals Form 1099.
For questions concerning 1099 issues, please contact Liz Brewer at 656-5594 (firstname.lastname@example.org)