In-state Calculation (PDF)
Out-of-state Calculation (PDF)
Full- to Part-Time Calculation ( PDF)
Student Financial Services is responsible for processing academic and departmental tuition and fee refunds. The following situations may result in a refund, pending the transaction occurs before the appropriate deadlines:
- Change in a full-time student's schedule, which results in reclassification to part-time status
- Change in a part-time student's schedule, which results in fewer credit hours
- Withdrawal from the University
- Cancellation of a class by the University
Because several offices may be involved in finalizing your refund, the process may take 1-2 weeks to complete.
How to Calculate Refunds
Refund calculations are based on the date of the drop/withdrawal in the system. This date is not determined or controlled by Student Financial Services.
- Student refunds for tuition, activity fee, and technology fee are calculated based on the student’s liable hours after the drop/withdrawal.
- Liable hours are calculated as the total hours a student is still registered plus the liable portion of the dropped/withdrawn course(s). Students whose liable hours are 12 or more, no refunds are generated.
- The liable portion is computed by taking the number of dropped credit hours times the liability rate (which is 100 percent minus the refund percentage).
- The refund amount is determined to be the difference of the original assessment and the assessment based on the new liable hours. If the original assessment is less than or equal to the liable hour assessment, no refund is due.
Notes on other fees:
Some fees (health fee, career center fee, library fee, matriculation fee, transit fee, campus recreation fee) are not refundable after the 100% refund period.
Housing and Meal Plans are refunded at a pro-rata rate. Additional information can be found on the University Housing and Dining website. Lab fees are non-refundable after the last day to drop without a ‘W.’
Course and Major fees are assessed based on the student status and/or student enrollment. Refunds are calculated based on the student’s liable hours.