Student Financial Aid Federal School Code: 003425

Graduate Students

Graduate students may receive two types of appointments - a graduate assistantship requiring University employment or a fellowship requiring no service to the University. All forms of assistance for graduate students (assistantships, fellowships and traineeships) are coordinated through the Graduate School, but decisions regarding the awarding generally rest solely with the departments.

Since assistantships and fellowships are administered by the respective colleges or departments, applicants should directly contact their department for more details. Graduate assistants are eligible for a reduction in academic fees. Graduate assistants who receive their official assignment after a loan is processed may be required to adjust their loan due to the reduction in academic fees.

The Office of Student Financial Aid is primarily responsible for all forms of assistance awarded to undergraduate students, but only federal aid for graduate students. The Federal Direct Loan, the Federal Perkins Loan, and the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan are the only forms of federal aid available to graduate students at Clemson University. Students must be accepted into a degree-seeking graduate program, be enrolled at least half-time, and maintain satisfactory academic progress to receive federal aid.

Postgraduate students, who are not enrolled in a graduate degree program, must be seeking a teaching certificate or second degree and may borrow only at the undergraduate levels. If additional finanical aid is required, private (or alternative) loans can help bridge the gap between the cost of education and the limited amount of financial aid available through federal programs. Students must apply for private loans directly with their lender of choice. Eligibility criteria for private loans vary by lender and should be carefully reviewed.