June J. Pilcher, Ph.D.
Alumni Distinguished Professor of Psychology
College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences
Contact: 864-656-4985 or email@example.com
Who is Dr. Pilcher?
June Pilcher is an Alumni Distinguished Professor in the Department of Psychology and an IAHC Scholar. Her research focuses on the effects of stress and fatigue on workplace performance and general well-being. June received her Ph.D. and M.S. in biopsychology from the University of Chicago. She worked on research on biological rhythms and sleep at the Max-Planck Institute for Psychiatry in Munich, Germany, after completing her B.A. in psychology and B.S. in computer science from the University of Southern Mississippi.
For more information, see her Department Profile.
How Dr. Pilcher’s research is transforming health care
June is interested in a broad range of research topics related to stress and fatigue. She has published a number of sleep deprivation studies simulating night-shift work to study how working at night affects performance and well-being. She also studies the effects of good and poor sleep habits on performance, health and well-being. June is interested in establishing a research collaboration to examine sleep habits and sleep loss in health care settings. She is interested in examining sleep in health care givers as well as the patients. Her newest research venture includes using FitDesks (stationary bikes with a desktop) to help people be active while completing necessary work. June is starting a collaborative venture using the FitDesks with the USC School of Medicine in Greenville and would be interested in research collaborative efforts in other health care settings at GHS. Imagine, for example, FitDesks in every waiting room in addition to the standard seating. Would people enjoy using the FitDesks while they wait? June’s expertise can help inform hospitals and provide a unique perspective in better understanding how sleep and activity affects our daily functioning, a crucial aspect of hospital operations.
News and media related to Dr. Pilcher’s research
- Clemson University students combine exercising and studying, WYFF4, 10/10/13
- Workstations encourage students to pedal while studying, Media Relations, 10/8/13
- Tigra Scientifica: Professor close up: Dr. June Pilcher, Tiger News, 1/18/13
- June Pilcher interviewed about the science of sleep, Your Day radio, 1/18/13
- As you bike it, Tiger News, 9/27/13
- Researchers study how sleep is related to social functioning, Medical News Today,, 9/22/12
- Clemson psychology professor conducts sleep research at Vienna university, Anderson Independent Mail, 9/20/12
- Clemson to Vienna, the journey of a Fulbright-Freud scholar and martial arts enthusiast, Discovery blog ,9/19/2012
- Clemson psychology professor conducts sleep research at Vienna university, Discovery blog, 9/19/12
- Books and black belts, Clemson University Features, 2012
- Clemson University researcher: Don’t overestimate your driving ability, Media Relations, 4/26/11
- Professor June Pilcher’s research on fatigue and sleep deprivation can help workers and college students lead more effective, happier and healthier lives, Clemson University Features, 2010
Health Research Expertise Keywords
Psychology, Stress, Fatigue, Sleep, Sleep Deprivation, Sleep Habits, Shiftwork, Exercise