Library Services

2006 Suggestions

Subject: Snax & Stax
Suggestion: The Canteen should serve cold beer. Preferably Budlight or Busch Light.
 

Response: Your comment was sent to ARAMark who manages the convenient store located in Cooper Library - Snax & Stax.
- Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject:Computer Lab machines
Suggestion: Level 5 computer screens are horrible (East, I think are worse). Some are so blurry as to be useless.

Response: Your comment was sent to DCIT.
- Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject:Smoking
Suggestion:"PLEASE provide more ashtrays & trash cans on the smoking side of the balcony!! I think this would cut back on the cig's being thrown down!"
 

Response:Thanks - now that we added more umbrella tables, it certainly makes sense. - Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject:Vending
Suggestion:Vending Machines should sell raisinettes and peanut butter m&m's! J"

Response:Your comment was sent to ARAMark who handles the campus vending machines.
- Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Plants
Suggestion:Please add more plants! It made my visit here all the more enjoyable. As well, I felt more at home, and was able to concentrate more sufficiently. Great job with the addition.

Response:Thanks for the comments. I'll make a budget request next fiscal year (July 1).
- Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Lighting
Suggestion: Please improve the lighting conditions in level 1 & 2.

Response: We hope to do just that. A group of graduate Ind. Eng. students are studying noise issues as well as lighting. The group will make recommendations to me & we hope to make changes or recommendations in the next year. Thanks for your input.
- Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Elevators
Suggestion: The elevator didn't work while wanting to go up from Level 2.

Response: Cooper Library's elevators are 40 years old & are scheduled for major repair later this spring. Please be patient with us in the interim.
- Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: General
Suggestion:Why do you only accept "Major Ideas?" My suggestion is that you also accept minor ideas.

Response:Of course we accept all ideas. The sign on the Suggestion Box is dated - we'll consider a new one. Thanks.
- Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Noise- Band
Suggestion: I was wondering why there is a band in the library. Isn't the student center more appropriate? The library is supposed to be QUIET."

Response:The Library is committed to the Midweek Music program and it is well received by the majority of patrons. For approximately thirty minutes one day per month, the lobby is filled with sound. This is a miniscule amount of time compared to the other 148 hours the library is open. We'll be happy to take your complaints under advisement and will certainly give consideration to the type of music. Thanks for the suggestions.
- Joseph F. Boykin, Jr., Dean of Libraries


Subject: Noise
Suggestion: A quiet area is badly needed some where on the 4th 5th, or 6th areas where no one meets & talks on their cell phones!

Response: Unfortunately, levels 1 - 3 are the available areas for "quiet". We're working with an Industrial Engineering graduate student project to study noise issues and hope to have some workable solutions by summer. Levels 4 - 6 are designated group study and collaboration areas and are by nature less quiet than the lower levels. We're struggling to meet needs with a 40 year old structure and are happy to hear ways that we can improve! Thanks for your comment.
- Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Hooks in Ladies Room
Suggestion: You need to install at least five BIG hooks in the 4th floor ladies room on wall across from toilet stalls. Big enough for coats & back packs together.

Response: Hooks are provided in two of the three stalls. I'm asking Facilities to add a hook in the third. While your idea is a super one (in a perfect world), from a security standpoint, it's unsafe. Your coats &
backpacks hanging out in the open is a "theft waiting to happen." Please use the hooks in the stalls. If you have other suggestions as to how we can improve, feel free to provide other comments. Thanks!
- Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: My Library Account
Suggestion: I have been a student here for years, even before the current id cards (I've got to say I was a big fan of the old cards with our birthdate on them, but that is a whole different department); that was many years of enjoying the library before some recent changes. I love the inside of the library; it is a great place to get work done, with different areas and floors that almost seem to be built for the various forms of schoolwork we encounter through our college careers (areas for group work, several computer labs, single study rooms, lounges, etc.). Unfortunately, the "My Library Account" section of the website, in my humble opinion, simply doesn't work as well as the old online access. Student access to information has been severely limited; we have multiple options to pay fines, but we can't even see what we actually owe anywhere near this section. Recently, and at my last check, the Tiger1 option hasn't been working (fortunately, I did get through and make the payment one day, but I am still uncertain whether it has actually registered in the system...so, eh?); as a senior, one of my only reasons for even keeping Tigerstripe money is to use it at the library. Third, I don't understand why we can't just sign in like we do for everything else, simply entering our username and password that is connected to a record of everthing we have ever done at this university. Last, but not least, it would be nice if we could access a complete record of the books we have checked out in the past, previous fines, and any other general information about what we have been getting into at the library; I would imagine that information is available somewhere. Thank you for your time; it was long, but I like to think they are all simple, easy areas that may be considered. Maybe the library could get better; is that even possible?

Response: Excellent suggestions! First: a coming feature - you will be able to use your computer userid to sign into the library system. Secondly, what level of detail are you looking for in fine records? In "your library account" you can now view the title, date checked out, date due & date returned plus amount of fine. Thirdly, we believe that we have solved the recent problems with the Tiger1 and credit card links. Please let us know what else we can do.
- Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Newspapers
Suggestion: The papers are not updated regularly. Could you please keep the most recent date on the stand?

Response:Newspaper subscriptions are received by US mail & aren't as timely as we'd like. We asked Greenville News and Anderson Independent to install newspaper machines on the Bridge in order to provide the local papers on a more timely basis. Is there a particular title that was missing or out of date? If you'll provide more information, we'll follow up. Also many papers are now on-line.
- Gail Julian, Head of Acquisitions


Subject:Parking
Suggestion: Think the school should build a small garage immediately adjacent to library, to improve studying conditions.

Response: Thanks for your suggestion. We're looking at options on how best to provide this service and hope to have something in place this summer.
- Geary Robinson, Director of Parking Services


Subject:Tax Room
Suggestion:The door to the tax room has been removed. I think it would be great if it were put back in. Super great even. Thanks.

Response:Sorry for the inconvenience but there were security concerns related to the locked door; therefore it was removed and will not be replaced.
- Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject:Furniture
Suggestion:Put couches in the library!

Response: We'll consider when we have additional funding for furniture. Thanks.
- Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject:Book Drop
Suggestion:It would be good if there is a drop box near Chemical Engineering Department.

Response:Since Earle Hall is located in close proximity to the drive-up book drop in the West Parking Lot of Cooper, we'd prefer not to add a box in that location but if you had other locations on campus? We also have book drops located at the Hendrix Student Center and Holmes Hall.
- Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject:Facilities (Electrical, study space)
Suggestion:We need power strips, more plugs, and lots of big tables. NO DUMB CUBBIES!! Thanks.

Response: Plugs we're working on - can't do power strips (fire code violation!). Big tables, no cubbies. For the present, we're stuck with the furnishings that we have. Consider discussing your needs with your student representatives. We do add furnishings as we have funding but we're quickly running out of public space!
- Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172

 


Subject: Noise at Library Workstations
Comment: There are a noisy bunch of teenagers disturbing the peace.

Response: Thanks for the report. We are working on the problem. Please feel free to report such directly to the security personnel on duty at the Level 4 security desk and it will be handled on the spot. Again, thanks.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Printing
Suggestion: 5th lvl cooper West and East printers are really nice. However, there are students who abuse this and leave papers all over the printer and the floor around it need to be punished. The people working at the help desk there, were not hired to pick up papers and clean up that area, but they do anyway, along with the janitors. It gets so bad sometimes that they can't even keep up. If people can't have the decency to pick up after themselves, maybe this free printing policy isn't worth it. My suggestion involves a simple implementation of a filter to the print queue where DCIT staff or Library help desk staff can freeze people's printing privileges by username. Creating a cleaner environment for the library can only benefit us.

Response: I will certainly pass this suggestion on to the computer center. I know they once considered using monitoring software to allow a certain number of prints before charging but decided against it. I never knew why. To be sure the abusers should not be allowed to remove the benefit of free printing for everyone else. I hope that before that happens the computer center will consider other measures and your suggestion is certainly one.
Beth Helsel, Systems Librarian, 656-3039


Subject: Interlibrary Loan
Suggestion: The ILL is terrible, if I wanted to wait 4 months for a book I would just buy it.

Response: We're sorry you had such a difficult time with ILL, but without further specifics, we can't really tell what the problem was. If it was something that took that long to receive, you can always call the RSCS
Office and find out what is taking so long. If it is only held by a few libraries, it may be that it took us that long to talk them into lending it to us. If it is a new book, most libraries will not lend new books on ILL. Furthermore, it takes a while for new books to get into OCLC, the national database, so that we can ask libraries for it. Lastly, books sometimes get cataloged before they are actually published, and we have to wait until the book is published before we can ask for it. Another tactic for a new book, rather than using ILL, might be to ask the subject liaison in your area to purchase it for the library. Thanks.
Jens Holley, Head of Resource Sharing


Subject: Purchase
Comment: Buy some binoculars please!! The library should own some binoculars for checking out, I want to do some bird-watching!!!

Response: We tend to devote our funding on materials, services, etc. However, if a set were donated, we'd be happy to consider it.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Shredder
Suggestion: How about providing a shredder for students to use?

Response: Good idea - we'll consider it for the next fiscal year (July 1).
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Electrical
Suggestion: I would really like to see power receptacles placed near the study cubicles on the lower floors. Many students, like myself, utilize a laptop when studying, and lack of a nearby power source limits our time. Thank you for your continued effort to further improve library services and facilities.

Response: We have requested a quote from Facilities & are considering improvements.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Stapler
Suggestion: Have a automatic stapler right before the security guard, so we can staple our homework right as we leave to go to class.

Response: A stapler and other supplies are provided around the corner at the Circulation Desk on the main level (4).
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Book Sale
Suggestion: While at the book sale today, there was a guy up against the library that had two huge boxes of engineering books. I would guess he took the whole table of books because the table was completely empty. I observed this around 10:40 today, and there is no way he could have looked at all the books that he had in there. Although I guess he has a right to do this, but it was very selfish and very frustrating for everyone else. For the next book sale could there be a time limit or a book limit per visit, so others can have an equal opportunity to purchase useful reading materials.

Response: This happens every year. Our engineering books are always the most popular and usually sell out by 10:00. We do clear out any "hoarded" books before we go to half price, usually at 1:00 or 1:30. A time limit would only encourage book hoarding. A book limit would discourage our best customers, who drive from as far away as western Tennessee and central Virginia. These people drive all night to get here at 5 AM and they spend thousands of dollars at our sale.
I know it is frustrating. Next year try and be there at 9:00 sharp.
Steve Johnson, Gift Librarian


Subject: Furniture
Suggestion: Add some of the umbrella patio tables by the Reflection Pond.

Response: The patio tables were purchased with funds from the Student Alumni Association. As the balcony area fills up, we'll continue on to the Fountain Plaza. Good idea.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Furniture
Suggestion: More tables on the 6th Floor!!!"

Response: The 6th floor is full - there's no room to safely add tables. We are; however, talking with the Hendrix Student Center in an effort to provide more space elsewhere. Look for news about this in the fall of 2006.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Shelves
Comments: "Not enough shelves."

Response: Where do you see a need for more shelves? We'll look around this summer and check for some likely areas. Thanks.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Userid
Suggestion: Please make the log-in the same as our university userids and passwords. This is a pain to try to go find our IDs and remember the "number below the barcode." Students probably have their ID numbers memorized - faculty do not.

Response: We also think it would be a good idea to unify access to all campus systems so we are working with the campus authentication server and the library system right now to get them to pass information back and forth. We expect you to be able to get to your library system using your Clemson assigned username and password in the Fall 2006 semester.
Beth Helsel, Systems Librarian, 656-3039


Subject: Copiers
Suggestion: You HAVE to add more time to the copiers!!!!! Constantly waste money trying to copy from books and in the time it takes to re orient the book & hit copy the time is up & a piece of paper gets jammed in the copier & my copy is messed up & money wasted! Very, very FRUSTRATING!

Response: We're working on this problem now <summer 2006>.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Database Access
Suggestion: I have been having difficulties connecting to the database website. I am in graduate school and have numerous papers to complete. I constantly have issues with the website. I feel as though this is a service that I pay for through tuition and that the website should always be accessible. I am finding it extremely difficult to complete my assignments due to the issues of your website timing out and not being able to be found. I would appreciate it if this problem would be looked into.

Response: I am not aware of anyone else having a problem with the webpage timing out. We do have databases that time out if not used for 15 minutes. I will check with others to see if any are aware of problems with the webpage.
Peggy Cover, Head of Reference


Subject: Reserving Study Tables
Suggestion: I don't think it's fair that someone gets to reserve a study table! The best one on the 5th floor has been taken over by whoever owns the Theta laptop! They leave for long amounts of time, but all their stuff is there and no one else can use the table! It's been there since Monday! NOT cool!

Response: You're right and it isn't. We're monitoring the situation and will take care of it.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Cell phone Noise
Suggestion: There is a rampant cell phone epidemic on the 3rd floor of our library. People have absolutely no consideration for others around them. They have the 3 floors above where anything goes. Can they not leave us one nice quiet floor? The 3rd floor is the only nice quiet floor in the building, with the other 2 in terrible shape. Is it too much to ask for them to go into the stairwell to make their calls? If people are studying in the quiet areas and need to talk about their subjects of interest, that is acceptable. Somehow I doubt that cell phone conversations have much to do with studying. I realize that there is little you guys can do on the enforcement side. But how about posting fliers in every single nook of the library, and sending out mass emails. If it prevents just one or two conversations while I am studying it is worth it.

Response: We have immediately stepped up enforcement on level 3 for the remainder of the semester. We'll also work on signage, etc. to make further improvements.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Email notifications
Suggestion: Why has the library changed its position on 'books due' reminders? It was so convenient earlier for us students to see the library reminder email and then head to the library to renew/ return the books. All this has changed. And I do not remember seeing any email from the library warning the students about this change.

Response: Thanks for your comments. Early in April, we experienced system problems. You may not have noticed that warning message that was placed on the front page of "My Library Account". Normal notifications sent to patrons via email were not working. Those problems have now been resolved and you should receive notifications as you normally would. If this is not the case, please let me know and I'll check your account. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Electrical
Suggestion: Install electrical outlets on the 6th floor in places where the row of tables not against the wall can reach them. If someone has to use a computer and study for more then 2 or 3 hours, the outer row of tables is useless since their computer won't last that long.

Response: We are quickly running out of available electrical in our 40 year old building & have added many many outlets to level six. We'll take a look again over the summer.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Heating & Cooling System (HVAC)
Suggestion: The cooling system seems to be non-functional. Please address immediately.

Response: Done!
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Noise during Exam Week
Suggestion: (2) Who ever scheduled construction work in the library during finals week need to be fired. The library should be QUIET!" Also construction in the library during exam week isn't such a great idea either!

Response: That was a terrible idea & as soon as possible, the construction was halted. Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Party on Balcony during Exam Week
Suggestion: I would suggest not to have parties on the balcony during exam week. People walking in & out is VERY distracting.

Response: The Student Alumni Association schedules an exam dinner on the balcony annually and we are committed to the event. You may not know but the SAA provides funding for the balcony furniture. We will; however, consider routing traffic through other doors to perhaps lessen the noise & distractions. Thanks for the comments.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Reminders
Suggestion:Why has the library changed its position on 'books due' reminders? It was so convenient earlier for us students to see the library reminder email and then head to the library to renew/ return the books. All this has changed. And I do not remember seeing any email from the library warning the students about this change.

Response:Thanks for your comments. Early in April, we experienced system problems. You may not have noticed that warning message that was placed on the front page of "My Library Account". Normal notifications sent to patrons via email were not working. Those problems have now been resolved and you should receive notifications as you normally would. If this is not the case, please let me know and I'll check your account. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Userid - Log In (1 of 2)
Suggestion: For all online clemson services (Web Registration, SIS, Blackboard, the campus Novell network, etc) I can use my username/password combination. However, for checking my library account I have to use my full name and the 10-digit number on the back of my ID. Is there any reason why the library account system can't use the same system that I use for checking my grades, registering for classes, etc.? Admittedly, it would be a "convenience" feature not having to dig through my wallet to find my ID card, or find my wallet if I'm at home since I can never remember by 10 digit ID number :-) It just seems more unified, though, to use the same security/login system for all services (if it is secure enough for my grades and registration, it should be secure enough for renewing library.

Response: We also think it would be a good idea to unify access to all campus systems so we are working with the campus authentication server and the library system right now to get them to pass information back and forth. We expect you to be able to get to your library system using your Clemson assigned username and password early in the Spring 2006 semester.
Beth Helsel, Systems Librarian, 656-3039


Subject: Theses and Dissertations Locations
Suggestion: I was just sent on a wild goose chase for Harvey Gantt's bachelor's thesis. When I first found it in the library catalog, it told me it was in "special collections" (which I had never been to before) and for "library use only". I started by looking for it in the oversize of the architecture library, then I went up to cooper and asked one of the guys at the reference desk, who sent me to Strom Thurmond. The lady at the desk down there told me that since it was more than 10 years old, it was in remote storage and I needed to fill out a form to have them ship it here by tomorrow. Conveniently, this form can be found online; however I had already walked a mile to find that out. WHY DID THE CATALOG NOT TELL ME THAT THE THESIS IS IN REMOTE STORAGE?!

Response: Let me sincerely apologize for the confusion. The general policy of Special Collections has been to transfer bachelors and masters theses and PhD dissertations that are earlier than 1995 to the Remote Storage Facility. There are two exceptions those written by Harvey Gantt and our current President James Barker. This decision was made because of the intrinsic value in addition to the informational value that any thesis or dissertation has. That being said, the Gantt thesis is on the hold shelf in Special Collections for you. If I happen to be available, I'd be happy to show you other resources in Special Collections related to the history of integration at Clemson and/or Black History.
Mike Kohl, Head of Special Collections, 656-5176


Subject: Cell Phone Policy
Suggestion:I don't like the no cell phone policy. I think it is unfair and ridiculous to allow people to talk to each other but not use their cell phones. I don't like it. I thought the library was supposed to be a relaxed atmosphere.

Response:Thanks for your input. An Industrial Engineering group was conducting a test for a short period of time in mid-April. The final results are in & any policy changes will be announced to all patrons by email or news article, etc. Thanks for your patience and input during the trial.
Teri Alexander, Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Noise
Suggestion: Please tell your employees in the reading room not to sing & yell. I'm reading!

Response: Reserve & Media Services is considered an unrestricted public area between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm daily. However, due to the increased amount of students using this room in the evening (with the exception of Staff helping patrons at the service desk and with copier equipment), Reserve & Media Services will be a designated QUIET AREA between the hours of 5:00pm and closing.
Rosanne Maw, Reserve & Media Manager, 656-0402

 


Subject: Temperature
Suggestion: Hi, the temperature in the library is not constant. 2-3 weeks ago, when it got cold out, it was very, very hot inside the library. Now it is quite chilli, after 2 hours of sitting on a chair my fingers are frozen. Also, most of students keep their jackets on. In my opinion, there should be a constant temperature inside the library, regardless of what the outside temperature is.Thank you.

Response: The heating/air conditioning system is 40 years old and scheduled for an upgrade in early spring 2007. Until the renovation is completed, Facilities works hard to keep the temperature at a comfortable level but parts fail and pumps break. Regional climates also wreak havoc on the system and it can't keep up with the need for heat & air within 24 hours. Bear with us until the renovation is completed in 2008.

Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Scanner
Suggestion: There should be a multi-page scanner in the Library- to convert pages to a TIF or e-document.

Response: We are working on getting a copier that can also convert pages to PDF format. The copier will be on level 4 of Cooper and should be available at the beginning of the Spring semester.
Beth Helsel, Systems Librarian, 656-3039


Subject: Printing
Suggestion: It would be really nice if there were some system for sorting the files that are printed on the free printer(s); at some times, the printer gets very busy and the tables beside it become disorganized mountains of paper. If there were shelves/slots/stacks or something else to organize the papers and keep them together, that would be helpful."

Response: The printouts now are sorted and contain a header sheet with the userid of the person who printed it. Often people will print and not retrieve their printouts. Unless we station a staff member at the printer to extract and hand out printouts to users as they come looking for them we don't think that shelves will help with organization. We feel that our staff is better used to help with computer problems.
Beth Helsel, Systems Librarian, 656-3039


Subject: Printing
Suggestion: The library needs another printer on the east side computer lab.

Response: DCIT furnishes these printers, one on at the east computer lab and one at the west computer lab. Since there are fewer machines on the east side it really should be a less busy printer. We will ask DCIT if they would be willing to furnish an additional printer.
Beth Helsel, Systems Librarian, 656-3039


Subject: Study Rooms
Suggestion: No more study rooms available. 17 thousand students & not enough study rooms.

Response: We're aware and sympathize with you. Please, please talk with your student government leaders and let's start an effort to work towards a solution to the "lack of study space" problem. There are no quick remedies. The space in Cooper Library is, as you well know, only one finite location on campus. And the building is so limited in it's capabilities (electrical, network are sorely lacking and EXPENSIVE to add).
Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Electrical
Suggestion: Need extension cords, extra electrical outlets for study desks!!

Response: Extension cords are not allowed by the CU Fire Marshal. We are looking at costs and considering ways to improve the electrical situation. Please bear with us while we do.
Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Coffee (Java City)
Suggestion: Make coffee available 24hrs!

Response: Your suggestion was fowarded to David Raiger, Resident District Manager, 656-6412


Subject: Java City (ARAMARK)
Suggestion: Need to keep coffee shop open on weekends. Sat & Sun all day!!! I really needed coffee this morning. But the coffee shop not open!! It really should BE OPEN on Sat. Thanks.

Response: Your suggestions were forwarded to David Raiger, Resident District Manager, draiger@clemson.edu


Subject: Internet
Suggestion: Your public Internet access was a God-send. It saved my butt. Thank you!

Subject: Exhibits
Suggestion: I really enjoyed the Hispanic exhibit, the crafts are beautiful.

Subject: Newspaper
Suggestion: Everything is great but please get the Boston Herald. I need it!!!

Response: Thank you for your suggestion. Although we do not have the Boston Herald in printed form, we do have access through two online resources. The Boston Herald is available from InfoTrac Custom Newspapers from 1997 to present and from LexisNexis Academic 1994 to present. These may be located through the Library's ejournal finder.
Gail Julian, Chair, Head of Acquisitions


Subject: Smoking
Suggestion: But smoking should be prohibited for the entire balcony - unhealthy & no reason to allow it. Thank you.

Response: Campus policy (located here: http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/COMPTROL/POLPROCE/policies/smoking.htm) allows for smoking in designated areas outdoors. Library Administration set aside these specific areas where smoking is permitted: 1) Bridge 2) South Balcony (facing Strom Thurmond Institute) and 3) Patio or ground level by the Reflection Pond. We are certainly happy to revisit the policy if University Administration are considering adopting other campus policies. Thanks for your suggestion.
Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Fish Tank/Water Feature
Suggestion: Fish Tank or Water Feature. It's a common known fact, that water is a relaxant. This would help decrease stress. You could place it in the area: to the left of the front entrance.

Response: Thanks for the suggestion. We'll consider it as a special funding request.
Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Reflection Pond
Suggestion: This is more of a facilities suggestion, but don't know where else to put this. The stagnant water in the pond near the patio is breeding an unusual number of mosquitos. Could someone spray or otherwise control them?

Response: University Facilities employees will spray the Pond. Thanks for the heads up.
Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Books not in proper location
Suggestion: Books are shown available on-line but they are not in their place. Please keep the books in their place after use.

Response: We are sorry that you had problems locating materials. Did you ask a library employee for help? Please do stop by a service point (available on levels 2 or 4). We have staff and student pages who can help!
Teri Alexander, Circulation & Facilities Manager, 656-5172


Subject: Text Book Purchases
Suggestion: To whom it may concern:
I went to the library last night(8/28) in hopes that they would have a book that I need for class but have not bought yet. The campus bookstore and the downtown bookstore are both out of the book and will not get another shipment in until Wednesday night(8/30) but my professor has already assigned homework. I was unable to find a recent copy of the book and I was told that the library does not keep current editions of books in use my professors. From a student standpoint I find this to be fairly unreasonable. From my perspective there are numerous reasons that the library should keep current editions of textbooks in use as a reference. My situation is just one of them. Other examples could be as follows:

-A student has misplaced their book
-A student has decided to go to the library but has forgotten their book
-A student would like to use a book from a previous class as a reference because they know what information is in the book
-A student is in a different class but would like to use another classes book as a reference

I am sure there are more possible situations in which it would be useful to have these books at the library. I just feel that current edition textbooks would most definitely find some use in the library.

Response:Thank you for your message in the Library suggestion box on August 29, 2006. Since assignments have been made and all students do not have textbooks for the course, perhaps your professor would place a copy of the textbook on reserve in the Library until copies have been received for all students. While a textbook may occasionally be purchased to support the curriculum, we cannot financially afford to purchase the 2300 textbooks adopted on campus for the Fall 2006 semester. We must focus our efforts on acquiring primary sources which support teaching and research.
Gail Julian

, Chair, Information Access Committee



Clemson University Libraries