Bell Pepper Nachos
Nonstick cooking spray
1 medium green bell pepper
1 medium yellow or red bell pepper
2 Italian plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
⅓ cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 ½ cups cooked white rice
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons jalapeño pepper sauce or 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Spray large nonstick baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Cut bell peppers into 2×1-1/2-inch strips; cut strips into bite-size triangles (each bell pepper strip should yield 2 or 3 triangles).
3. Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add tomatoes, onion, chili powder and cumin. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in rice, Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro and pepper sauce.
4. Top each pepper triangle with approximately 2 tablespoons rice mixture; sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Place on prepared baking sheets; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 8 hours before serving.
5. When ready to serve, preheat broiler. Remove plastic wrap. Broil nachos, 6 to 8 inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes (or bake at 400°F 8 to 10 minutes) or until cheese is bubbly and rice is heated through. Transfer to serving plate; garnish, if desired.
Nutritional Information per Serving (⅛ of total recipe):
Calories from Fat 24 %
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 14 mg
Carbohydrate 14 g
Fiber 1 g
Protein 6 g
Sodium 165 mg