The Atlantic Coast
Coast Conference was founded on May 8, 1953, at the Sedgefield Inn near
Greensboro, N.C., with seven charter members - Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North
Carolina, North Carolina State, South Carolina and Wake Forest - drawing up the
The withdrawal of seven
schools from the Southern Conference came early on the morning of May 8, 1953,
during the Southern Conference's annual spring meeting. On June 14, 1953, the
seven members met in Raleigh, N.C., where a set of bylaws was adopted and the
name became officially the Atlantic Coast Conference.
On December 4, 1953,
conference officials met again at Sedgefield and officially admitted the
University of Virginia. The first, and only, withdrawal of a school from the ACC
came on June 30, 1971 when the University of South Carolina tendered its
The ACC operated with seven
members until April 3, 1978, when Georgia Tech was admitted. The Atlanta school
withdrew from the Southeastern Conference in January of 1964.
The ACC expanded to nine
members on July 1, 1991, with the addition of Florida State.
The conference expanded to
11 members on July 1, 2004, with the addition of the University of Miami and
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. On October 17, 2003, Boston
College accepted an invitation to become the league's 12th member starting with
the 2005-06 academic year.
Below is a table of ACC schools with links to each institution's
home page and to each office that is the equivalent of Clemson's Office of
Institutional Research & Planning.