Finding Poultry Breeds
Here are 3 ways to find specific poultry breeds in South Carolina and other states.
Remember, if poultry enter SC from another state -- it is required by law that they are from Pullorum-Typhoid Clean flocks (under the National Poultry Improvement Plan - NPIP) or the birds have been tested negative for Pullorum within 30 days prior to entry into SC.
- NPIP National Directory - This site will give you the NPIP participants (Pullorum Clean breeders) by state:
Scroll down the page and look at: "Participants by State in the National Poultry Improvement Plan"
Have to search for the bird breeds by state.
Then look up bird breed codes under the "Waterfowl, Upland Game Birds, and Exhibition Poultry" section for each state (the other sections are commercial companies).
Here is the link to the NPIP Bird codes (Product Codes) to figure out the breeds of birds:
- Look in the “big” exhibition hatcheries for common and rarer type birds. These are also NPIP participants:
- Cackle Hatchery: 417-532-4581 or http://www.cacklehatchery.com/ or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dunlap Hatchery: 208-459-9088 or https://www.dunlaphatchery.net
- Hoover's Hatchery: 800-247-7014 or http://www.hoovershatchery.com
- Ideal Poultry: 254-697-6677 or http://www.ideal-poultry.com/ or e-mail: email@example.com
- Meyer Hatchery: 888-568-9755 or http://www.meyerhatchery.com or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Moyer's Chicks: 215-536-3155 or http://www.moyerschicks.com
- Murray McMurray Hatchery: 800-456-3280 or http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com
- Privett Hatchery: 877-PRIVETT, 575-356-6425 or http://www.privetthatchery.com or e-mail: email@example.com
- Ridgway Hatcheries: 800-323-3825 or http://www.ridgwayhatchery.com or e-mail: ridgwayEgg@aol.com
- Look in the SC Department of Agriculture Market Bulletin. Archived issues are free to view.
You can always find poultry for sale -- BUT be aware that not all of these birds are tested for Pullorum-Typhoid.
Note: Links are provided as information. They do not constitute an endorsement of any non-affiliated organizations, businesses, products, services, or content of these pages by Clemson University Livestock-Poultry Health or Clemson University.