SC NPIP Requirements for Starting a Game Bird Farm or Preserve
South Carolina is a Pullorum-Typhoid Clean state and we require that birds under the NPIP program (including chickens, turkeys, pheasants, partridge, quail, grouse, guineas, ducks & geese) must enter our state from Pullorum-Typhoid Clean (certified) breeder flocks or be tested individually for the diseases.
- If you are a hunting preserve, where you will get flight-ready birds to be hunted on this property, you will need to follow these requirements:
- Buying birds within the state of South Carolina - no requirements.
- Buying birds outside the state of South Carolina - you must buy from farms who are certified under the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP Pullorum-Typhoid Clean) in their state or the birds must be tested Pullorum-Typhoid negative 30 days before entry into South Carolina. Birds must be banded with an Official State/NPIP band and an official movement document (with band numbers listed) must be submitted with the birds and to the NPIP Office (NPIP 9-3 movement form for NPIP flocks or SC Record of Interstate Movement into SC).
- If you are a hatchery and/or grow-out farm, where you have:
- A breeder flock of your own, or
- Plan to buy hatching eggs to hatch and/or grow-out to send out-of-state, or
- Plan to buy day-old quail to grow-out to flight-ready condition to send out-of-state...