The South Carolina Botanical Garden houses two unique, historic properties: The Hanover House and the Hunt Cabin.
Built for Paul de St. Julien in 1716 in Berkley County, South Carolina, the Hanover House was reconstructed on the Clemson University campus in 1941. It was relocated to the South Carolina Botanical Garden site in 1994. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is managed by Clemson University's Historic Properties department.
The Hanover House is open on Saturdays from 10:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 4:30pm and Sundays from 2:00pm to 4:30pm. The Hanover House is closed on Clemson University holidays and home football game Saturdays. Additional hours are made by appointment. Please call the Hanover House at 864-656-2241 for any questions concerning visiting the property.
An admission donation of $5 for adults, $4 for senior citizens and $2 for children is suggested. School and tour groups by reservation only. Call the Clemson University Visitors Center at 864-656-4789 to schedule a group tour.
The restored Hunt Cabin was built around 1826 by Charles Hunt Jr. Mr. Hunt married Martha Dalton in 1825. As a wedding present, Martha's father, Solomon Dalton, gave Charles 2,300 acres of land. The Hunt Cabin was built on this tract of land in Seneca, South Carolina. The Cabin was scheduled to be torn down but was purchased by the Clemson Class of 1915 for $35 and moved to Clemson College in 1955.
The original home contained four bedrooms on the first floor and a large front porch. As it currently stands, the Hunt Cabin has one large open room on the first floor, and the front porch is long removed. During the early years, the Hunt Cabin was visited by many travelers. General Andrew Pickens, a good friend of the Hunts, spent many nights in their home. Legend has it that during the Civil War, General Sherman spent a night at the cabin and, thus, spared it from the torch during his long campaign in the South.