About Sigma Xi
Sigma Xi is an international, multidisciplinary research society whose programs and activities promote the health of the scientific enterprise and honor scientific achievement. There are nearly 60,000 Sigma Xi members in more than 100 countries around the world. Sigma Xi chapters, more than 500 in all, can be found at colleges and universities, industrial research centers and government laboratories. The Society endeavors to encourage support of original work across the spectrum of science and technology and to promote an appreciation within society at large for the role research has played in human progress.
Sigma Xi endeavors to encourage support of original work across the spectrum of science and technology and to promote an appreciation within society at large for the role research has played in human progress. To that end, Sigma Xi publishes the award-winning American Scientist magazine, awards hundreds of grants annually to promising student researchers and sponsors a variety of programs that serve science and society. Primary programmatic interests include research ethics, science and engineering education, the public understanding of science, international research networking and the overall health of the research enterprise.
What does the Clemson Chapter do?
- Each year, the Clemson chapter of Sigma Xi brings a distinguished lecturer to campus, and bestows a junior and senior researcher of the year award at our annual banquet. The senior awardee gives a University-wide seminar and the junior awardee is the speaker at the banquet.
- We support the scientific enterprise in SC through an annual award to a high school teacher and undergraduate researchers along witht the SC Academy of Science and Jr. Academy meetings. (see current award winners)
- We also provide some of the funding for the Undergraduate Presentation awards given at the SC Academy of Science meeting each year.
- We contribute to the Research Forum and participate in/sponsor other workshops on research ethics, job preparedness, etc. according to member interest.
- We send a delegate to the national Sigma Xi meeting each year.
- Additional benefits of Sigma Xi membership include the ability to apply for the national society's Grants in Aid of Research and the subscription to American Scientist magazine.
- We co-sponsor the "Science as Art" competition yearly. Visit the "Science as Art" homepage.