Skip to main content

Change of Major

Restrictive majors in the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences (CBSHS) may require an application or essay for admission. Priority is typically given to applicants with a GPA above the minimum requirement. It is recommended that interested students take courses offered (not restricted by major) during their freshman and sophomore years prior to application. Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog, specifically the CBSHS sections, to look at specific course requirements. If you have general questions regarding admission into majors within the CBSHS majors, please contact the advisor listed for that major.

Restrictive majors within the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences are: communication, health science, nursing, and sports communication. With the exception of parks, recreation and tourism management (PRTM), students can only apply twice into any restrictive program within the College.

Below is change of major information from various schools and departments in the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences. Note: Contact advisors in the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice and Department of Political Science for information about the process in those departments.

Expand All | Collapse All
  • Communication

    Click here for information about the application process in the Department of Communication.

  • Nursing

    Admission into the major is very competitive and an application is required. Students must have a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPR and must complete two required sciences in the nursing curriculum with a minimum grade of C. Applications for change of major are available January 1 of each year and are due by January 31 each year; application materials are available online either through the School of Nursing website or on this website only during the designated application period. Decisions are made March 1 following the application deadline. Please see Nursing Change of Major FAQ for more information.

  • Psychology

    Click here for information about the change of major process in the Department of Psychology.
  • Public Health Sciences

    Admission is competitive and an application is required. Admission is not guaranteed. The application is available once a year beginning the first day of classes in the fall term through the last day of classes in December. Students with less than 50 hours earned may apply to change their major into health science with a minimum cumulative GPR of a 2.25. Students with 50 or more credit hours may apply if space is available, pending the following restrictions:

    • Completion of the health science mathematics and statistics requirements and the general education natural science requirement
    • Minimum cumulative grade point ratio of 2.5.

    Students should contact the CBSHS/CoE Academic Advising Center for information on how to fill out the application. Change of major decisions will be determined by submitting the completed application, space in the program by cohort graduation date, competitive GPA, and completed credit hours. Please see advisor for more specifics.

  • Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management

    When space is available, a student may change majors to one of the degree concentrations in PRTM with a 2.0 cumulative GPR, at least 30 credit hours earned or in progress, and approval of the department chair or his/her designee. This applies to the following concentration areas: community recreation, sport and camp management; park and protected area management; professional golf management; recreational therapy; and travel and tourism. Please see your advisor for more specifics.