Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All | Collapse All
  • What does the CBSHS/CoE Academic Advising Center do?

    The center advises freshmen, sophomores and transfer students in the College of Education and the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences (CBSHS). We answer questions for prospective students in these same fields who are high school seniors. We provide services for change of major students trying to gain access to restricted/closed majors within CBSHS/College of Education. This may be in the form of group interest meetings, information on our website, or one-on-one assistance. During peak times -- first two weeks of school, October 1 through November 15, and March 1 through April 15 -- students changing majors will be seen after current advisees on an as-available basis. We assist students with course scheduling, registration and other academic related assistance to ensure success through the first two years. We work with students to assist them with working through the process of how to take courses elsewhere (usually in the summer). We assist students who would like more information about studying abroad and make campus referrals as necessary. Students in political science, communication, sociology and anthropology, and psychology are assigned to advisors in satellite locations. Students should work directly with their assigned advisor for appointments and advising dates and deadlines. Visit this page for contact information.

  • What is the best way to make an appointment to see an advisor?

    With the high volume of inquiries, appointments are the only way to ensure you will see an advisor. During peak times, appointments are required. Advisors request that you call us at (864) 656-5495 or email the individual advisor. Students should follow us on Twitter for drop-in advising information. Students should not expect an immediate response. (Within one day is typical except during peak times.) We often have auto responses on our emails at peak times. Students are cautioned to read those carefully for instructions.

  • When is the advising center open?

    Typically, the center is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. During the school year, the center is open through the lunch hour; however, advisors will take lunch and may not be available to meet with students. We are closed on weekends as well as University and state holidays. From May 1-August 15, the center is typically closed at lunch. It is always best for a student to have an appointment or call before coming to the office.

  • I will be visiting campus and would like to meet with an advisor in my intended area. Will someone be available?

    Advisors within the CBSHS/CoE Academic Advising Center are always willing to meet with prospective students. It is recommended that you schedule prospective student appointments with the advisor at least two weeks in advance to ensure availability. Due to the high volume of nursing prospective student inquiries, group tours for this department are the only available option for visiting. Please see this link for more information about their policy. Please note that advisors are available only during office hours and are not available on Saturdays, Sundays and University holidays or during peak advising times. The advisors will make every effort to accommodate requests made less than two weeks in advance. The Academic Advising Center always has material available for prospective students to pick up if an appointment has not been made. Regular office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. It is also highly recommended that students meet with a University admissions counselor as our advisors do not admit students to the University.

  • Am I required to meet with an advisor to register for classes?

    In short, yes. Your advisor is concerned about your academic progress and well-being as a student at Clemson and the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences. Therefore, we require that each student make an appointment either as directed or via email in October and March to come into our office for a face-to-face meeting with their advisor. We do not clear students to register via email or telephone.

  • At what time of the year do I need to be cleared to register?

    The pre-registration period always runs from roughly October 1 to November 15 in the fall semesters and March 1 to April 15 in the spring semesters. All students will be REQUIRED to come in for advising during this time. We have many options including targeted group sessions, one-on-one appointments and drop-in hours. All students advised by the CBSHS/CoE AAC will receive an email -- through their official Clemson University email address -- notification containing pre-registration information and instructions for how to sign up for an appointment. It is your responsibility as the student to respond to these emails and make an appointment versus just showing up and expecting to be seen on your schedule.

  • I haven't heard from my advisor, and I know it is time to be advised. What should I do?

    There are many reasons why communication may not be reaching you regarding the pre-registration process. It is recommended that you reach out to your assigned advisor by going to their campus office, calling their campus phone number, or emailing them.

  • I am not certain who my assigned advisor is for this semester. How can I find this information?

    All students can view their advisor in iROAR. > "Registration" > "Student" > Student Records > Student Information.

    Generally, freshmen and sophomores are assigned designated professional academic advisors, and juniors and seniors are assigned faculty advisors in their field of study.

  • I am a parent and would like to know about my child's grades, class attendance, or another issue. Will an advisor talk with me?

    Under current FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Acts) legislation, if your student is 18 years of age or older, we cannot speak to parents or other family members concerning academic records, class attendance, or other educational information. For more information concerning FERPA and your rights, please visit the registrar's website for a brief tutorial. We encourage students and their parents to have open, honest lines of communication that will allow the parents to be knowledgeable about pertinent aspects of their academic progress. We are always willing to meet with you and your student together (in person). However, this should be a rare occurrence, not the norm.

  • Can I follow up with an advisor concerning my student's inquiries?

    We strongly encourage your student to become independent. This includes having them take charge of scheduling meetings, making phone calls, sending emails, or any other sort of actions related to following up with information needed.

  • How can I track my academic progress?

    Degree audits are available online at any time. They are updated nightly for accuracy. You can check your degree audit online by following these steps:

    Visit -

    Click - "Current Students, Faculty and Staff" > Log in using your CUID

    Click - "Student" > "Student Records" > "Degree Works"

  • Can I just stop by to see my advisor?

    The advisors often have other assigned duties which typically result in meetings away from our office. It is best to call before walking (or driving) all the way here and then finding that your advisor is in a meeting and cannot be seen. There are also times when students may be required to have appointments.

  • I am a new freshman. Must I attend freshmen orientation?

    Yes. During orientation you will register for fall classes, learn about different University programs and services, and you will also meet faculty and staff within the College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences. Advisors within the colleges will assist you in selecting courses.

  • Does it matter which orientation I attend?

    There are special orientations for Honors College, Early Success Program (ESP), and Math Excellence Workshop (MEW) students. Refer to the orientation link for those sessions. Students not participating in these programs are not required to attend a specific orientation.

  • Must I attend orientation if I am a transfer student?

    The College of Behavioral, Social and Health Sciences requires that transfer students attend transfer orientation to get their credit evaluated and to register for fall classes. Advisors within the colleges will assist you in selecting courses.

  • How many hours do I need to keep my scholarship?

    Every scholarship is different. You should always contact Financial Aid with any scholarship questions.

  • How do I change my major to nursing, health science, PRTM, communication or psychology?

    These programs all have different requirements. Please refer to our change of major page.

  • I want to take a course at my local college. What is the process for this?

    1. Look at the course offerings for the institution (not Clemson) to find out what courses are being offered in the term you wish to enroll.

    2. Cross-reference Clemson’s Transfer Credit Equivalency List (TCEL) to see how/if the course will transfer:

    3. If the course is listed in the TCEL, make an appointment with your assigned academic advisor to complete the “Approval (Request) for Work to be Taken Elsewhere” form. Form may be downloaded from:

    4. If the course is NOT listed on the TCEL, you must download the “Approval (Request) for Work to be Taken Elsewhere” form along with the course description from the institution where you want to take the course. With both of these items, you should make an appointment to go to the department designee for a signature. This would be the department in which the course is being taught. A good list to start from to get a signature is the “Registration Coordinator” list linked here:

    5. Once the course has been evaluated as “equivalent” by the department, make an appointment with your assigned academic advisor to complete the signature process on the form.

  • I have transfer credit from another institution. Will it count towards my Clemson GPR?

    Only credits transfer, not grades.

  • How do I declare a minor?

    Check out the minor requirements in your announcement book and make sure that you have room in your schedule. Once you have determined that you can meet all minor requirements, make an appointment with your assigned advisor to complete the "change of academic program" form.