Policy: Capital Project Approval Policy
Date of Initial Board Approval: February 11, 2010
Amended by the Board: October 14, 2016
Amended by the Board: October 1, 2021
Approval of Capital Projects
For capital improvement projects requiring the formal approval of the S.C. Joint Bond Review Committee at a public meeting, the Board shall approve the project concept and the final project budget.
Changes to an established project that requires approval by S.C. Joint Bond Review Committee shall be approved by the Chair of the Board of Trustees and the Chair of the Facilities and Finance Committee and shall not require approval of the full Board.
Professional Services and Alternative Construction Services Selection
For all University construction projects requiring the formal approval of the S.C. Joint Bond Review Committee, a committee shall be convened to select professional services (architects and engineers) and, if utilized, the alternative delivery construction method (CM-R, Design-Build).Composition of the Selection Committee shall be as follows:
- Member, Board of Trustees, appointed by Chairperson – if requested during the Finance and Facilities Committee review. If no Trustee member is requested, EVP will appoint an at-large member.
- End Users of the Project: End user Vice President (VP) and end user selected by the VP (if more than one VP is an end user of the project, then each arm will participate as noted)
- Executive Vice President for Finance and Operations (will chair the Professional Service Selection Committee, The State Engineer's project manager will chair the Alternative Construction Selection Committee)
- Campus Master Planner (for Professional services)
- Project Manager (for Alternative Construction Selection services (CM-R or Design-Build))