Skip to main content

Foreign Travel Insurance

Student Insurance:

All students who participate in a study abroad program are required to have the study abroad insurance. This includes all students on Clemson faculty-directed or college coordinated programs, exchange students, students who are studying abroad with external providers and third parties, and direct enrolled students. It applies to students studying abroad for credit and non-credit.

The Clemson insurance is provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). The insurance policy covers basic medical expenses, medical evacuation, medical reunion, repatriation, and a security evacuation rider. Students can enroll for up to 1 additional month of coverage if planning to extend time abroad. The enrollment must be completed well prior to departure and proof of insurance submitted via the online application system to the Clemson Study Abroad Office.

Students participating on approved third-party provider programs who purchase insurance through their third party provider may waive purchase of the Clemson study abroad insurance coverage. Students must submit proof of third party insurance coverage as part of their online application. Approved third party programs are: AIFS, API, Arcadia, CEA, CIEE, CIMBA, CIS, Global Semesters, IES, ISA/ELAP, SAI, Semester at Sea, TEAN, and USAC. Students on these third party programs have the option to purchase the Clemson study abroad insurance coverage if desired.

Student enrollment directions (PDF version)

Faculty/Staff Insurance:

Faculty and Staff traveling on behalf of Clemson University should purchase the foreign travel insurance. Complete the Faculty and Staff Foreign Travel Insurance form for coverage prior to departure and email it to

Faculty/staff insurance form (Excel Version)