Download Adobe Reader

Incentives for Doctors

1. Educational Delay Program General Information:

a. Early Commissioning Program (ECP) LTs may request Educational Delay (DL).
b. Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) and nurses may not request DL.
c. PMS must counsel cadets interested in DL to ensure they understand the process and requirements (e.g., highly competitive choices, limited).
d. Requirements for DL files:

(1) CCIMS Accession Management Sheet

(2) Graduate study admissions test (GMAT, LSAT, GRE, MCAT, DAT as applicable, law, medical, dental, etc.) results. The scores are used by the DL board members as one of the factors in determining the selection. Test score results are mandatory for DL consideration (EXCEPTION: Individuals applying for the Chaplain Candidate Program are not required to have a graduate test score.) When all other measured parameters are equal, it may be disadvantageous for some cadets to include the test scores when others in the same applicant pool do not have test scores.

(3) Letter of acceptance to a graduate school, if available. Most graduate schools do not provide letters of acceptance until the spring semester; therefore, it is not mandatory that a letter of acceptance accompany the accession file.

(4) Letters of recommendation (optional, except for Chaplains).

(5) Chaplains must have a one to two-page paper discussing "Why I want to be an Army Chaplain" and a letter of approval (recommendation) from his or her religious faith group.

(6) DL files will not be processed without an official test score with name and SSN. Note: Hand-written test scores will not be accepted.

e. Two DL files should be forwarded to ATCC-PAS (one labeled original and one labeled copy).

f. All individuals approved for DL should expect Active Duty (AD) upon termination or completion of the DL. However, all final AD determinations are dependent upon the needs of the Army at the time the delay is completed. Cadets who fail to gain admittance into medical, law or seminary school, or who terminate the delay prior to completion, will fulfill their obligation through AD/RD based on the needs of the Army.

g. Officers who enter DL status will be transferred to the jurisdiction of Human Resource Command (HRC) upon commissioning and providing appropriate graduate school acceptance papers to Cadet Command (ATCC-PAA). Cadet Command will not transfer control of any DL officer to HRC prior to receiving the LT's 201 file with DA Form 591, Application for Initial (Educational) Delay from Entry on Active Duty and Supplemental Agreement, with the correct supplement, DA Form 71, Oath of Office-Military Personnel, appointment memorandum, and Medical Records with DD Form 2808, Report of Medical Examination. Until that time, the LT will remain under Cadet Command's control. Cadet Command, Deputy Chief of Staff G1, Accessions and Security Division, will submit requests for termination of DL for LTs who have not provided required documentation or have not requested an extension of delay status IAW suspense dates (Appendix B).

h. In addition to the DL program, if cadets are interested in a medical degree in physical therapy, physicians assistant, MD, etc., the Army has other funded and non-funded programs (Baylor Program, IPAP, USUHS).

i. If you miss the Educational Delay request window as mentioned above, you may still request DL under the following conditions: (1) It is more than 60 days before your active duty report date. (2) You have passing test scores on the MCAT. (3) You have a letter of acceptance from the medical graduate school.

2. AMEDD Programs:

a. Cadets granted an Army Medical Department (AMEDD) DL may apply for the Health Profession Scholarship Program (HPSP). Cadets must contact their local AMEDD recruiter.

b. Individuals requesting DL for an advanced degree in dietetics, physical therapy or occupational therapy need to be aware of the following:

(1) Individuals desiring to serve as dietitians on AD should apply to the Army dietetic internship/graduate program in nutrition.

(2) Individuals desiring to serve as physical therapists on AD should apply to the Army-Baylor University doctoral program in physical therapy.

(3) For more information, see

c. Test requirements: All AMEDD Programs require a graduate school test (DAT, GRE or MCAT) as appropriate for their field of study.

d. Areas of study: Below are listed areas of study for medical fields and corresponding Army specialty branches. Cadets can request DL in AMEDD by selecting Code MC, MS, DC, SP or VC as appropriate, based on the chart below, in the branching module under the DL section.

Financial Incentives for Medical Corps


  • Variable special pay of $1,200 to $12,000 annually, based on length of service.
  • Board certification pay of $2,500 to $6,000 annually for board-certified physicians.
  • Medical additional special pay of $15,000.
  • Incentive special pay of $12,000 to $36,000 paid annually.
  • Multiyear special pay of $6,000 to $14,0000 annually, based on specialty and total number of contract years served.
  • More than $114,000 to pay down qualifying dental school loans through the Active Duty Health Professions Loan Repayment Program (ADHPLRP); participants receive $38,300 per year for three years.


  • Reserve physicians are eligible to receive the health professions special pay of $30,000, paid in yearly increments of $10,000 for three years.
  • Medical school loan repayment of up to $50,000 over three years through the Healthcare Professions Loan Repayment Program (HPLR); participants receive $20,000 per year for the first two years and $10,000 the third year.