Download Adobe Reader

About CAF

 

 

The Clemson Architectural Foundation was founded in 1956 as an eleemosynary corporation to support and enrich the professional programs in the College of Architecture.  That partnership has grown from one program in 1956 to five in 1993, including a college name change to support the programs supported.  These are South Carolina's only programs in architecture, landscape architecture, city and regional planning, and construction science management, and they join the fine arts in forming a uniquely integrated school of professional studies within the College of Architecture, Arts, and Humanities.

One of the CAF's most significant accomplishments has been the establishment of the Charles E. Daniel Center for Building Research and Urban Study in Genoa, Italy - in a villa owned and operated by the CAF for the benefit of the College and University.  Each semester twenty-two students representing all disciplines in the college study and analyze Italian and European building construction, architecture, planning, landscape architecture, art and history.  The lessons learned here by the students are brought back home to apply after graduation to the built environment of South Carolina.  Over 1,400 students, faculty, and professionals have been in residence at the Daniel Center since its founding in 1973.  Since then, the School of Design + Building has established study programs in Barcelona, Spain and Charleston, South Carolina; both of which the CAF also supports.

 

CAF Booklet Cover

Villa in Genoa