CLEMSON UNIVERSITY AGRICULTURE ALUMNI
Section 1. Regular Members
Any person who has been officially enrolled at Clemson University in the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences for at least one (1) academic semester or one summer session is eligible to become a Regular member. Every Regular member is eligible to serve on the Board of Directors and has full and equal voting rights.
Section 2. Associate Members
Persons who do not qualify for Regular membership but who are friends of and interested in the welfare of the Clemson University College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences may become Associate Members. Associate Members shall not have voting rights and will not qualify to serve on the Board of Directors but may serve on standing committees.
Section 1. Election
The Officers of the organization shall be a President, a President-Elect, a Secretary, and a Treasurer. These Officers shall be elected by the Board of Directors from the membership of the Board of Directors.
Section 2. Method of Electing Officers
The President shall appoint a Nominating Committee of three (3) Regular Members of the organization at least thirty (30) days prior to the annual meeting of the Board of Directors. The Nominating Committee will nominate at least one (1) candidate for each vacancy. Additional nominations may be made from the floor by any member of the Board. The Board of Directors shall then and there proceed to elect Officers for the ensuing term.
Personnel of Committee
There shall be an Executive Committee consisting of the four (4) Officers, Executive Director and Past President. This committee shall have such duties and powers as may be delegated to it by the Board of Directors. Meetings of this Committee may be called at any time deemed necessary by the President.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. Composition and Method of Election
1. The four (4) Officers of the organization.
2. The District Representatives from the six (6) identified districts.
3. Two (2) young alumni representatives. A young alumnus is any Regular Member under the age of thirty-five (35).
4. The immediate Past-President.
5. One (1) faculty member from the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences appointed by the Dean.
6. Six (6) At-Large Board of Directors Members.
7. Three (3) Standing Committee Chairs
8. Representatives of the College appointed by the Dean of the
College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences who shall be ex-officio:
a) Executive Director of the organization.
b) The coordinator of student services for the College.
c) The Director of Development for the College
d) An appropriate student representative who is willing and able to serve, and fulfills a meaningful leadership role in the college during their term.
- The Dean of the College and a University Alumni Association representative shall be invited to all meetings.
Section 2. Terms of Office
1. All voting members of the Board of Directors shall serve two-year terms beginning July 1.
2. The Officers will be elected to serve a two-year term.
3. The Board of Directors will elect District Representatives, one (1) Young Alumni Representative and three (3) At-Large Representatives at their second meeting in even numbered years, to begin two-year terms the following July 1:
District 1 District 3 District 5
4. The Board of Directors will elect District Representatives, one (1) Young Alumni Representative, and three (3) At-Large Representatives at their second meeting in odd numbered years, to begin two-year terms the following July 1:
District 2 District 4 District 6
5. It is the responsibility of the Executive Director, President and the current serving member of each vacated position to recommend representatives to serve on the Board of Directors
Section 3. Vacancies on the Board of Directors
Any vacancies on the Board of Directors shall be filled by the Board of Directors for the unexpired term of the vacant office. In the event that a voting Board member is elected to serve in a different position, the vacancy shall be filled for the unexpired term.
Section 4. Meeting of the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall hold four meetings each year. The meetings shall have the time and place fixed by the Executive Committee. Notice will be given at least twenty-one (21) days prior to each meeting. The President may, for good cause, call special meetings of the Board of Directors. A quorum of the Board of Directors must be present to conduct the business of the organization. Any member of the organization may attend meetings of the Board of Directors but must request in advance to be included on the agenda.
Section 1. Districts
The state is divided into four (4) Districts. Districts 5 and 6 shall be considered out-of-state. Representatives from all six (6) districts will serve as members of the Board of Directors.
Section 2. District Identification
The six (6) Districts will reflect commonly accepted geographic areas:
District 1 Upstate
District 2 Midlands
District 3 Pee Dee
District 4 LowCountry
District 5 Out-of-State
District 6 Out-of-State
The Board of Directors may select emeriti from the membership of the Board of Directors.
ATTENDANCE AT BOARD MEETINGS
Every Board member shall be expected to maintain a reasonable level of engagement each year as determined by the Board of Directors. Any member with two (2) unexcused consecutive absences may be removed.
The fiscal year of the organization shall be from July 1 through June 30.
AMENDMENTS OF BY-LAWS
These By-Laws may be amended at any annual meeting of the organization’s total membership by a majority vote of two-thirds of the members present and voting or by the Board of Directors at any regular or special meeting by a majority vote of two-thirds of the Board members present and voting, provided that written notice of said amendment be circulated to the total organization’s membership or to Board members at least thirty (30) days prior to the respective type meeting.
The Board of Directors may create and approve Standing Committees that will be utilized to conduct the business and activities of the Board. Standing Committee rules, procedures and purposes shall be maintained by the Executive Director in an appendix document entitled Clemson University Agriculture Alumni Board Standing Committee Operations. The committees may include, but are not limited to:
Development and Fund Raising
Student and Alumni Activities
Policy, Procedure, and Awards Committee
CAFLS Tailgate and Golf Tournament
Alumni Activity Expansion
Departmental and Organizational Alumni Activities
Marketing and Promotion
The rules contained in the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences Alumni in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws and any special rules of order the organization may adopt.