134 Long Hall
- Ph.D. Ecology and Evolutionary
Biology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2013
- B.S. Evolution and Ecology,
University of California, Davis, 2005
My research focus will be mainly
pedagogical. I am interested in how student-led research in teaching
laboratories affects student attitudes toward and retention in the biological
sciences. Additionally, I am interested in whether there is a student learning
trade-off between gains in analytical thinking skills and factual knowledge
when students are taught using inquiry-based pedagogical methods.
From a biological perspective, I am
interested in how genetic exchange affects the processes of adaptation to and
speciation in novel environments. I use Tribolium
castaneum as a model system.
- Kendall, KD, M Niemiller, D Dittrich-Reed, LD Chick, L Wilmoth, A Milt, M Burt, N Lopes, L
Cantwell, L Rubio, A Allison, and EE Schussler. 2013. Departments can develop teaching
identities of graduate students. CBE
Life Sciences Education 12:
DR, BM Fitzpatrick. 2012. Transgressive hybrids as hopeful monsters. Evolutionary Biology.
- Pruitt, JN, KW Demes, DR Dittrich-Reed. 2011. Temperature mediates shifts in individual
aggressiveness, activity-level, and social behavior in a spider. Ethology 117 (4): 318-325.
- Strauss, SY, ML Stanton, NC Emery, CA Bradley, A
Carleton, DR Dittrich-Reed, OA
Ervin, LN Gray, AM Hamilton, JH Rogge, SD harper, KC Law, VQ Pham, ME Putnam,
TM Roth, JH Theil, LM Wells, EM Yoshizuka. 2009. Cryptic seedling herbivory by
nocturnal introduced generalists impacts survival, performance of native and
exotic plants. Ecology 90 (2):
- BIOL 1100 – Principles of Biology I
- Society for Integrative and
- Society for the Study of Evolution