Guidelines for Application
Mr. Joel A. Berly, Sr., Class of 1914 formerly served as Head of the Department of Entomology at Clemson. The award was established by Joel A. Berly, III Class of 1978 in memory of his grandfather.
This award is designated for an outstanding Entomology MS student to be compensated for teaching a laboratory section(s) of an Entomology course of his or her choosing, with approval of the instructor of record, during the academic year following receipt of the award. Second preference is an outstanding PhD Entomology Graduate Student. The award is $2,000-$3,000 given annually depending on availability of funding.
Terms of the Award:
- Awarded on a competitive basis to students enrolled in the Entomology Graduate Program
- Non-renewable; Previous recipients are not eligible.
- Teaching requirement must be fulfilled within the academic year following award selection; Course selection will be based on mutual agreement between the faculty member of record and the graduate student, with commitments made prior to the beginning of the academic year. The teaching commitment must be in keeping with the established Entomology Graduate Student Requirements.
- Students currently on an assistantship will receive fellowship funding as a supplement to their current rate of pay, not as a replacement
- Recipients are expected to give a presentation on their research in the ENT 8090 Seminar series in the semester following receipt of the award
- Recipients are asked to send a note of thanks to the Berly family upon notification of funding
- Awards are administered by the Graduate Advisory Committee
To be considered for one of the awards, interested enrolled Entomology graduate students may submit the following items in a single, electronic file by the deadline:
- Curriculum vitae
- GPA (graduate transcripts, unofficial are acceptable)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Cover letter including which course you would TA
- Letter from Professor for whom you would teach acknowledging agreement with your choice
- Up-to-date Entomology Graduate Program Checklist – no funding will be granted to a student who has not met the deadlines for their degree program.