H-1B Employee Guidance

Below is important guidance for new and current H-1B employees.

H-1B Travel Letter

When an H-1B faculty or scholar travels internationally, they may be required to document that their employment is ongoing and will resume when the faculty/scholar returns to the U.S. It is recommended that the faculty/scholar print out copies of their last three pay stubs and have a letter from the hiring department to document ongoing employment.

The pay stubs can be downloaded from Clemson’s Office of Human Resources under Current Employees, then HR Self-Service. The travel letter should be printed on departmental letterhead, written by the faculty/scholar’s supervisor, department chair, or HR administrator, and include contact information for the person signing the letter. The letter should be concise and to the point. One or two paragraphs are sufficient. A template for an H-1B Travel Letter can be found here

Returning to the U.S. Using "Automatic Revalidation"

Automatic Revalidation allows H-1B nonimmigrants to re-enter the U.S. with an expired U.S. visa stamp in their valid passport after visiting Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days. Under this provision, the expired nonimmigrant visa is automatically extended to the date of readmission. For the most up-to-date information, visit the U.S. Department of State (DOS) or U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Important Reminders for Faculty/Scholars' use of Automatic Revalidation:

  • Can only be used for travel exclusive to either Canada or Mexico; travel to other countries is not permitted.
  • Cannot apply for a new U.S. visa stamp while in Canada or Mexico.
  • Hold a passport valid for at least six months from the date of re-entry to the U.S. unless from a country listed here.
  • Have an unexpired I-94 record or admission stamp.
  • Have the bottom left side of the I-797A H-1B Approval Notice.
    • Note: When exiting the U.S. using automatic revalidation do not surrender your I-94 as you will need it for re-entry to the U.S.
  • Apply for readmission to the U.S. within the 30-day limit to visit Canada or Mexico.
  • Have maintained and intend to resume non-immigrant status upon re-entry to the U.S.
  • Cannot be a citizen or national of countries designated as state sponsors of terrorism by the U.S. DOS.
  • Cannot have had a visa canceled under INA 222(g).
  • Cannot have entered the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program.

International Services advises travelers to carry the CBP article on Automatic Revalidation with them when traveling to Canada or Mexico.

Important reminder: A U.S. visa does not automatically grant entry into other countries. Prior to travel, check to see if an entry or visitor visa is needed to travel to Canada or Mexico.

More information about permanent residency at Clemson University can be found here.