Skip to Content

PRTM Fellowships and Assistantships

Youth Development Leadership Teaching Assistantships

Faculty in the Youth Development Program in Clemson University’s Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management (PRTM) are currently seeking well-qualified applicants for Ph.D. and M.S. Teaching Assistantships starting in Spring 2021. These assistantships provide a competitive stipend to on-campus students and include a full tuition wavier. Read about the assistantship opportunities, including how to apply.

Bishop Assistantship in Tourism

The Bishop Assistantship is for PRTM graduate students focusing on issues related to the tourism industry in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

 Potential research topics include:

  • Tourism development
  • Travel decision making
  • Tourism marketing
  • Sport tourism
  • Agricultural tourism
  • Resource-based tourism

Conover Graduate Fellowship

The Conover Graduate Fellowship is sponsored by Richard and Sandra Conover to further graduate study in park and conservation area management (PCAM). Conover taught PCAM (formerly recreation resource management) at Clemson University from 1974 until his retirement in 1994. Fellowships are awarded for one year only based on the recommendations of department faculty.

Past Conover Fellows have studied the social science perspectives related to:

  • wildland recreation management, landscape aesthetics
  • outdoor recreation behavior
  • conflict and crowding
  • environmental and activity socialization
  • use of wildlands for solitude
  • non-formal environmental interpretation/education
  • visitor segmentation studies
  • marketing of public lands
  • tourism and gateway community impacts on public lands
  • related resource recreation areas

Hartzog Doctoral Fellowship

Individuals starting a doctoral program in park and conservation area management are eligible to be selected as a Hartzog Doctoral Fellow in park and conservation area management. Fellowships are for one year; supplement departmental graduate assistantships are typically awarded every other year, based on availability of funding. A Hartzog Doctoral Fellow will work with park resource faculty on grants from park agencies and assist the department in conducting annual Hartzog events. Applicants should contact a professor in the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management who share their interests.

Marsha A. Ward Fellowship Endowment for Play

Clemson University graduate students in parks, recreation and tourism management who demonstrate a commitment to play and the value of play in modern society can apply. Being a Marsha Ward Fellow demonstrates your dedication to play and the value of play. It can lead to future opportunities in play research. Fellowships are for either a 20 hour/week commitment with the US Play Coalition between January and February, or a 10 hour/week commitment over the spring semester.


University Fellowships

The Graduate School provides information for additional available fellowships.