Skip to main content


What are some of the social media outlets for the Mechanical Engineering Department?
I am a full time engineer but am interested in a part-time Master’s degree. Is this possible through Clemson?

The Mechanical Engineering Department has developed an evening and hybrid series of courses for working professionals so that they can take graduate level courses towards fulfillment of the requirements of a non-thesis Master’s degree. More information on the Charleston Option can be found here:

How do I apply for an assistantship?

After being accepted students may be offered support through fellowships, as graduate research assistants (GRA), graduate teaching assistants (GTA), graduate laboratory assistants (GLA), or graduate grading assistants (GGA). The fellowships are offered through the University or College typically and are offered for exceptional candidates. Additional fellowships are available to students who directly apply to the programs, such as NSF, NASA, or DOD. Individual faculty hire GRAs to work on sponsored research projects. These positions may or may not align the with the thesis/dissertation research of the student. Typically, the hiring faculty member will serve as the student’s research advisor. The GTA, GLA, and GGA positions are departmental positions that are used to support the educational activities of the department. GTAs are hired to help in course instruction, typically being supervised by the faculty who is the instructor of record for the course. GLAs are hired to help in delivering the laboratory courses in the undergraduate program. GTA and GLA assignments are made based on both engineering experience and English proficiency. GGAs are hired for semester assignments to specific courses. All departmental hires are selected based on priorities given to level of the student (PHD/MS), satisfactory progress in their degree program, and recommendations of the faculty.

How likely am I to receive an assistantship?

Assistantships are limited and awarded based on a highly competitive basis. For detailed information about tuition, fees, financial aid, and other details of admission and to apply online, please visit The department cannot offer advice on the potential for acceptance to interested parties.

What are the application deadlines?

For Fall Admission - February 15th
For Spring/Summer Admission - September 15th

As a new graduate student, how many courses should I take in my first semester?

All incoming, full time graduate students are advised to take four courses in their first semester, with the only exceptions being those that are already working with research advisors. This will provide graduate students the opportunity to focus on coursework, strengthen their knowledge of advanced concepts beyond their bachelor’s degree, and prepare them for research work with faculty, or provide them with an accelerated path towards graduation with the non-thesis option, and allow students to complete 50% of the required course work for the thesis option in their first semester.

Can I choose a coursework only option for the MS degree?

All incoming MS students are required to start with the non-thesis option and are centrally advised by the departmental graduate director until such a time as a faculty mentor has agreed to advise the graduate student as his/her thesis student. This means that students start in the one-year MS degree option consisting of four courses per semester in the first two semesters and three courses in the third semester (Fall, Spring, Summer), if they are not able to find a thesis advisor to work with regardless of funding source.

Where can I go for additional information?
What is the process for filing my GS-2?
Instructions for completing the GS2 Committee Selection and Plan of Study can be found here: