Download a printable version of the Eligibility Form
Who is eligible to apply to participate in the SDP?
- Applicant must be in a full-time permanent position with standard hours of at least 30 hours per week for at least three years at Clemson as of April 4, 2017. Service time for work in a position that had standard hours of less than 30 hours per week will not count towards years of service when determining eligibility for the SDP. Employees currently in a FTE position may count years of service in a temporary position if the temporary position had standard hours of at least 30 hours per week.
- Applicant must not be currently receiving retirement benefits. (SCSRS, PORS or State ORP).
- Applicant must have been in his or her current position number at least one year as of April 4, 2017 and must remain in that position number until completion of the SDP (May 30, 2018). (Involuntary reassignments will be considered on a case-by-case basis).
- Applicant must have received at least a “Successful” on EPMS evaluations for 2015-16 and 2016-17 and has received no written disciplinary actions through Human Resources within the past year as of April 4, 2017. (Does not apply to documentation of oral reprimand(s)).
- Applicant must not have received a permanent salary increase (except state-mandated cost-of-living adjustments, additional duties or market equity) totaling 10 percent or greater within the last year, as of April 4, 2017.
- Applicant must not be at the top of his/her pay band. (Does not apply to unclassified staff positions).
- Applicant must accept that if the 10 percent salary increase, up to $4,000, would place him/her above the top salary for current pay band, participant will only receive the part of the increase that would bring salary to the top of current pay band. (Does not apply to unclassified staff positions).
Additional eligibility guidelines:
- Graduates of the SDP are not eligible to reapply.
- Past participants of the SDP that were involuntarily dismissed from the program are not eligible to reapply.
- Past participants of the SDP that voluntarily withdrew from the program after completing a reasonable amount of progress towards completion of their approved plan (as defined below) but due to extenuating circumstances could not complete their plan (and whose withdrawal was approved by the SDP steering committee) are eligible to reapply.
- Benchmarks for reasonable progress are approximately 25% completion by the first quarterly review, 50% completion by the second quarterly review and 75% completion by the third quarterly review.
- Past participants of the SDP that have voluntarily withdrawn from the program twice (two different cohorts/program years) are not eligible to reapply.
- Past participants of the SDP that were terminated from the program due to a voluntary position change may reapply for the program after having been in their new position for more than one year; however, that termination will count towards one of their two permitted program withdrawals.
Requirements of the Staff Development Program
You understand that you must complete all of the following requirements of the Staff Development Program or you will not receive the specified increase in your salary:
- I understand I must complete a minimum of 150 total hours of development:
- Professional Development (a minimum of 74 documented contact hours)
- Personal Development (a minimum of 26 documented contact hours)
- University/community-related service (a minimum of 40 documented contact hours)
- Core curriculum (a minimum of 10 documented contact hours)
- I understand I must fulfill the program requirements as indicated by the SDP 2017-18 guidelines.
- I understand I must continue to fulfill my regular job duties to the satisfaction of my supervisor during the period of my involvement in the SDP.
- I understand while supervisors may grant some leeway to permit SDP activity during ‘work’ hours, they are under no obligation to do so. Participants are to work with their supervisors to determine what will be allowed.
- I understand I must create and maintain detailed documentation of how I have completed the requirements of the program.
- I understand this is a two-year program and that I must complete and document at least 15 hours of SDP Steering Committee approved volunteer service to the SDP from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019 to fulfill the program requirements for the second year.
- I understand that 50 percent of the salary increase received from the completion of the first year of the two-year program will be forfeited if the volunteer service component is not completed to the satisfaction of the SDP Steering Committee.
- I understand that because there will only be a maximum of 25 participants in the SDP during this program year, the final selection of participants will be based on the quality and competitiveness of my application.
- I understand that if I am not accepted as a participant in the SDP, I am not eligible to appeal or grieve the decision under the Clemson University Grievance Policy.
- I understand my application must be received by the SDP Office no later than 4:30 p.m. on April 4, 2017. Applications may be mailed to 801 University Union, Clemson, SC 29634.