Mechanical Engineering


Degrees Offered


The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Clemson University offers the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy in mechanical engineering. Enrollment in the M.S. and Ph.D. programs is open to students with degrees in physics, applied mathematics or any branch of engineering.

Admission to the Master's program in mechanical engineering at Clemson University typically requires that applicants have a minimum B+ average on their last 60 hours of undergraduate courses, a Graduate Record Exam (GRE) of at least 1100 and two letters of recommendation. The requirements for admission to the Ph.D. program are higher than those for a Master's degree.


More information can be found in this graduate handbook.


Program of Study

MS: Enrollment in the MS program is open to you if you have a degree in physics, applied mathematics or any branch of engineering. You may choose the thesis or non-thesis option.

The mechanical engineering faculty believes that three semesters and a summer are usually sufficient for full-time graduate students to complete the necessary work to obtain the Master of Science degree.

PhD: Committees generally require courses other than those that directly support the dissertation defense. Work in the minor field or fields, if required, normally comprises 12 to 24 hours in courses carrying graduate credit. In general, the degree is awarded when the committee members are satisfied that the research program is complete and that all other formal requirements have been met. Typically, the doctoral degree programs are completed in three or four years.


Research in the Department of Mechanical Engineering includes the three major subject areas: engineering mechanics, mechanical and manufacturing systems and thermal/fluid sciences. Research emphasis areas within the department include automotive engineering, energy, advanced materials engineering, biotechnology and nanotechnology. Research labs and offices of the faculty, staff and graduate students of the department are housed within the Fluor Daniel Engineering Innovation Building.


Required Documents


After being accepted, you may be offered support through fellowships or as a graduate research assistant (GRA), graduate lab assistant or teaching assistant (GLA) or grader. A GRA is hired by a professor to work on that professor’s research project and assist the professor in related teaching duties. A GLA is hired by the subject area group to work as a lab instructor or lecturer. Graders are occasionally hired during each semester by the graduate coordinator. They are selected from a group of on-campus students who have good academic credentials.

If you have an assistantship, you must enroll for 12 hours each semester (typically three courses in addition to credit received for research). Assistantships are usually available for only MS thesis option and PhD students.


Program Contact(s)

Program Coordinator(s)